Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Farmers Market Finds and the Weekly Menu 8/9 - 8/14/10

Ok, a day late this week but my parents were in town visiting for the weekend so I didn't take the time to sit down & write. Despite the humidity & 100 degrees heat index we headed out to the Kingfield Farmers Market on Sunday. Really there is so much stuff at the market this time of year its hard to resist.
Picking out the peppers
This picture really illustrates what I love about buying from the farmers market. Peter's Pumpkins was selling some beautiful baskets of mixed peppers & Matt asked for one that was mostly poblanos for fajitas. Peter invited him behind his booth & helped him pick out the best selections to make exactly what we wanted. Peter is one of those great vendors who just loves to talk to you about his produce & what's coming up from the farm in the next couple of weeks. This week he even had pumpkin blossoms, which he offered with a recipe for frying them. I really wanted to try them but knew I wouldn't get to them in time. Maybe he'll have more next week.
Farmer's Market Finds 8/8
Boy, did we fill our bags this week! We hadn't been to the market in two weeks so our fridge was looking really empty.

Potatoes
Fennel - I think I'll grill these up as a side dish.
Cantaloupe - We ate most of this as a breakfast treat yesterday.
Cabbage - This became a salad with the carrots & a blue cheese dressing
Eggs
Leeks
Carrots - I find a like a carrot of two with my lunch every day
Onions - Used a bunch in fajitas yesterday & some will go in gazpacho & salsa
LoveTree Sheep's Milk Cheese - A perfect appetizer on crackers yesterday
Mixed Peppers - Most were used in fajitas & more will go into the gazpacho & salsa
Brussels Sprouts - Was hoping to roast these as a side dish this week if the oven gets fixed...
Tomatillos - We'll be making salsa with these
We also got a lot of sweet corn which mostly eaten with BBQed chicken Sunday night. I think I'll use the rest in sweet corn waffles.

Menu Planning Monday...ok, Tuesday
While making breakfast yesterday all the electrical blew on our stove & oven. It's gas so I can still use the stove but not the oven. Guess I need to plan around that since a repair person can't come until Monday!

Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho

Grilled Salmon & Vegetables

Thursday we are going to see Wicked & going to have dinner at Om in downtown Mpls beforehand

Chicken over Sweet Corn Waffles - a riff on the amazing chicken & waffles I had at Corner Table last Friday

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

5 comments:

Manisha said...

What a lovely stash of farmer's market goods!

Recipe for Delicious said...

I'm so in awe of your meal planning skills. What a haul from the market! Jaden at Steamy Kitchen has a brussel sprout recipe with a pistachio and dried cranberry pesto that I'm dying to try.

Lori said...

Its funny, on Saturday when I come home from market and I have my findings I think I should take a pic like Kat. But then I think no, that is her thing and I enjoy checking hers out! I wish sometimes I could go to your market. Our market is good but could use a little improvement. I'd say half of the vendors there are from warehouses selling their leftovers. I buy it on occassion but mostly I stick to the farmers and remain loyal to the good ones.

Lori said...

Oh my goodness, what a spread! You loaded up this week. The personal touch you explained is exactly what I love about the market as well.

I ended up finding a few Brussels sprouts at our small market this week. I'm jealous of the tomatillos though. I found some early in the year and made some salsa verde I loved, but haven't found anymore since.

Catherine said...

I always love reading your weekly menus :) I try and plan them myself, but it never works out quite as organised!

I hope they do have pumpkin blossoms next week, can't wait to see what you do with it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota