Thursday, August 26, 2010

Potato & Leek Soup

Two weeks ago I picked up some leeks at the farmers market & decided I wanted some potato leek soup. When I mentioned it on my weekly menu, a few people wrote to say they had not had good luck with this soup. So, I was a little worried the recipe I was trying wasn't going to be good either.
Potato Leek Soup
I had nothing to worry about, this was a fantastic soup. Creamy, tasty & not to heavy plus it came together so quickly. I stuck pretty close to the recipe except for adding a little sour cream which I think just gave it that little something extra in flavor.

Potato & Leek Soup
(adapted from The Big Book of Soups and Stews. I have to say this is the best of the soup cookbooks I have, we've yet to have a bad soup from it.)

2 T unsalted butter
2 1/2 c chopped leeks, white & green parts only (I used 4 small leeks)
1/2 c chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 lbs new white potatoes, peeled & chopped
2 c chicken or vegetable stock
1 c milk
1/4 c sour cream
salt & pepper
chives for garnish (though crispy bacon would be good too)

In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, onions & potatoes then sauté for 3 minutes. Add the stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat heat, cover & simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Pureé the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Add the milk and sour cream. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer for 5 - 10 more minutes. Pureé again is you want it even creamier. Serve sprinkled with chives.

Makes 4 servings.

The book says this can be served cold or hot. I really preferred it hot.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

8 comments:

Maria said...

One of my favorite soups! YUM!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I love potato leek soup. I sometimes add cheese to mine and it's so comforting!

Recipe for Delicious said...

Okay, I'll try it again. Yours looks too good.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

looks delicious

grace said...

you know what would be good in this...figs. :)

Unknown said...

Soup is absolutely my favorite thing to eat. Even in the summer when most people cringe at the sight of a hot bowl of soup, I grab a spoon and dig in! I work with Better Recipes so I'm constantly looking at recipes but Easy Soup Recipes are definitely my most favorite! This one in particular sounds really easy and while I also prefer my soup hot its a nice option that this one can be served cold as well.

Deborah said...

Add me to the list of people who have not had good luck, although the version I made had spinach in it too. I'll have to give this one a try!

MKTRAT said...

Finally got some leeks worthy of soup..... Delicious!!! So worth the wait. This one going in the "keeper" binder for later use

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota