Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Fig Sauce

I wanted to make a sauce using the fresh Black Mission figs we have & figured a pork tenderloin would be the perfect vehicle for it. It's been so long since we've had a tenderloin & I don't know why. We love grilling & roasting tenderloins as they cook quickly & there is so much you can do with them flavor-wise.
Pork Tenderloin with Fig Sauce
This time we kept the pork simple with just some salt & pepper & grilled it until perfectly done because we knew the sauce would have a lot of flavor. I have to say I am really lucky because Matt know his way around cooking meat perfectly. I tend to worry about meat being cooked enough & end up over cooking it. Anyway...

This sauce was a wonderful compliment to pork: slightly sweet, slightly tart & very figgy. It was super simple to make & I think made for a "good-enough-for-company" presentation. Don't leave the thyme out of this sauce; I was surprised that such a small amount made such a big difference in the final flavor.

Fig Sauce

1 T salted butter
1/4 c chopped red onion
6 fresh ripe Black Mission Figs, stems removed, chopped
1 T honey
1/4 c red wine
2 T balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper
1 t fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 t dried

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions & sauté until soft & translucent. Add the figs & cook a minute of two to start breaking up. Stir in the honey, wine & vinegar. Season with a little salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & let simmer uncovered for about 10 - 15 minutes until reduced & thickened. Add the thyme leaves & check seasoning for salt. Serve warm over pork tenderloin or maybe some pork chops.

Makes about 1 cup (enough for 4 servings)

We had some leftover & I'm looking forward to using it as a spread on a ham & cheese sandwich for lunch today. Can you believe we are down to less than one flat of fresh figs already? Have you entered to win your bounty of figs from the CA Fig Advisory Board yet?

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

10 comments:

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

Pork tenderloin is one of my favorites. I like that it's pretty lean too. I bet that fig sauce was amazing!

carter @ the kitchenette said...

This looks amazing! I only recently got into figs, and I can't get enough. I bet this fig sauce is TO DIE FOR.

Lori said...

I make something very similar to this. (hasnt made it to my blog yet). I use Giada DeLaurentis 's recipe. We love it. Something amazing about pork and figs!

Stacey Snacks said...

It looks like fall is in the air!

Lori said...

What a great combination! I really need to get a pork tenderloin from the farm here. It is one thing we haven't tried on the new grill.

grace said...

i'm truly appetized by this--your fig sauce is one of the most beautiful things i've seen all day, and it's perfect for some meaty pork loin.

Chef Basket said...

This Pork Tenderloin with Fig Sauce looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!

dining table said...

Wow! This looks so delicious! I want to try and make some for the weekend. Thanks for sharing this dish.

Anonymous said...

The fig sauce was delicious! I have a fig tree in my yard and made this recipe to go with Pork Loin Chops, I will definately make this again.

Donna and Jim said...

Came across your recipe while searching for fig sauce. I made it yesterday and it is AWESOME! We have a fig tree in our yard and now I know what to do with them. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota