Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Iron Foodie 2010

The Foodie Blogroll & Marx Foods are hosting Iron Foodie 2010. 25 food bloggers will get a box of gourmet ingredients to create a dish with & one will be chosen the Iron Foodie. I thought it sounded like a really fun challenge so I'm throwing my hat in the ring.
Iron Foodie 2010 | Here's Why that will be me:
MarxFoods.com -- Fine Bulk Foods The Foodie BlogRoll
We were asked to answer a series of questions help pick the 25 challengers.

1. Why do you want to compete in this challenge?

It's so easy to fall back on the same old dishes so, I'm always looking for inspiration in the kitchen. More often than not, that inspiration comes from new ingredients whether it's some exotic vegetable at the farmers market or an interesting condiment at a gourmet market. The idea of having a box of ingredients from Marx Foods just show up at my door to create with is very exciting to me as another way to get those creative juices flowing.

2. Limitations of time/space notwithstanding, whose kitchen would you like to spend the day in & why?
Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Ferran Adria, James Beard, Marie-Antoine Careme, or The  Swedish Chef
#310 - Score!
Definitely Julia. Even though she was a classically trained chef I still think of her as a home cook who first & foremost cooked because she loved to eat. She was a perfectionist when it came to creating recipes for her cookbooks but, I'm betting in real life she was a lot of fun in the kitchen. She just seems like some who truly embraced life.

3. What morsel are you most likely to swipe from family & friends’ plates when they aren’t looking?
Espresso Smoked Ribs
Bring on the pork, the bacon, the pork belly, the confit, the ribs... It's like candy to me.

4. Sum your childhood up in one meal.
#88 - Mac & Blue Cheese
My mom is a fabulous cook who has always liked to experiment in the kitchen introducing us to things like curried shrimp as kids but, the the ultimate comfort food, homemade bake macaroni & cheese with a side of peas, will always take me back to childhood.

5. The one mainstream food you can’t stand?

This is a toughie because I'm not sure if you can call the stuff I can't stand mainstream & I find as I get older things I think I couldn't stand I now love. That said, despite my love for sushi, I can't stand Uni (Sea Urchin) I find the texture & flavor just hard to swallow. I also can't even take the smell of liver & onions but give me a good pate on the other hand....

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

11 comments:

Elle said...

Oooh, good luck!

tamilyn said...

Good luck on the challenge!

Kate said...

Good luck to us both!!

Maria said...

Good luck to you!

Manisha said...

Good luck! I'm sure they will pick you!

Lo said...

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what everyone pulls out of their hats for this challenge!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Julia Child all the way! I have been on a search for her cookbook in thrift stores too. No luck yet!

Thistlemoon said...

Good luck Kat! Thanks for playing with us! :)

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Good luck! =)

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you on the uni! Same thing here! LOL! Congrats on being selected as an Iron Foodie contestant!

Rebecka said...

Congratulations! It's going to be fun competing in the challenge with you! Best of luck! btw...I love sushi but I've never been brave enough to try Uni...it looks kina like a slug and from what you say about the taste..I'm not missing much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota