Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lasagna Soup

When Matt travels I often find myself picking up containers of soup from the deli at the local gourmet grocery store, Kowalski's, for lunch or dinner. Recently, they seem to have a whole bunch of new varieties for winter & I was intrigued by one called lasagna soup. It was so good I knew I had to try creating a version of it at home.
Lasagna Soup
A creamy tomato soup is made even creamier with ricotta cheese & seasoned with basil & oregano. Sausage & lasagna noodles are added creating a hearty soup with all the flavors of lasagna. We used a spicy Italian sausage which gave a good bite of heat against the creamy, cheesy soup. The broken lasagna noodles make great soup noodles,retaining their texture even two days later, plus, I like a thick noodle in soups. This soup was tasty as is but next time I may add some spinach for color & to get some greens in our winter diet.
Lilac tree in winter
We had our first snowstorm of the winter this past weekend which kept us trapped inside on Saturday. This soup was the perfect warmer in front of the fire re-watching all the Harry Potter movies (yes, I'm getting excited to see the new one Thursday night!).

Lasagna Soup

1 lb bulk Italian sausage, we used hot but mild would be find too
5 oz yellow onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped, about 2 T
1 T tomato paste
1 t dried basil
1/2 t dried oregano
2 t kosher salt
few grinds fresh pepper
2 14.5 oz cans of crushed or diced tomatoes
2 T sherry
2 c chicken stock
1 c half & half
1 c ricotta
1/4 c grated parmesan
6 lasagna noodles (not the no boil kind)

In a large heavy soup pan or dutch oven brown the sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through, break it into pieces as you go. Remove from the pan & set aside.

The pan should have a good coating of fat in it from the sausage if not, add a little olive oil. Cook the onions & garlic over medium-high heat until tender & the onions are translucent. Add the tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt & pepper. Cook while stirring for about a minutes. Add the tomatoes & bring to a simmer. Let simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water. Break the lasagna noodles into large pieces & put into the boiling water. Boil until just undercooked, for us that was about 6 1/2 minutes. Drain & set aside.

Process the soup until smooth either in a blender or with an immersion blender. Stir in the sherry, chicken stock & half & half. Heat through over low heat. Add the ricotta & parmesan. Stir over low heat until melted. Stir in the sausage & noodles. Taste for seasoning & adjust as needed.

Serve with extra grated parmesan if desired.

Makes 8 servings.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

20 comments:

Megan said...

This soup looks so inviting on a freezing cold day. We never get snow like that and I would love it for a weekend. Then it could go away!;)

RJ Flamingo said...

My standard lasagna uses spinach instead of meat, so I can totally see doing this with any kind of greens like spinach, kale or chard! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Yum! I would love to try making this!

Unknown said...

Yes please. I'll take one large bowl please. Brilliant idea!!! I'm going to have to make this ASAP!

V said...

Brilliant! My kids love lasagna, soup form would make it so easy for me.

Heather said...

Ohhh my god, I would eat all of that.

vanillasugarblog said...

geez that does look good. i like making my own soups at home too because most of the soups out in the deli's are just too watery for me. i like em thick and creamy. and full of stuff! lol

SMITH BITES said...

I cannot believe you've had snow already!!! Loonnngggg winter for you, girl!! But man, this soup is right up my alley - lasagna is one of my comfort foods - bookmarked!!!

Meg Luby said...

what a perfect winter dish!! so warm and cozy :)

going to have to make this ASAP. love your blog! thanks for posting

-meg @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

Elle said...

Wow--what a great idea! You're right--perfect and warming. We're seeing HP on Friday night--can't wait!

Paul Jennette said...

YUM!! I must try making this soon.

Stacey Snacks said...

I am still not giving in to winter, even though it's pitch black by 5 pm!!! This soup looks wonderful and warming!

Lori said...

My jaw dropped when I saw the snow. I heard there was a storm in that area, but I had no idea! You are probably used it, but I'm ready for winter, just not snow yet. :)

Now, the soup I'm ready for! That sounds so great. So glad you recreated it.

Fresh Local and Best said...

I can't believe it snowed so much where you are and so early! This looks like a good winter soup, perfect for those cold days.

Chris and Amy said...

Clever idea, and great for this time of year. Can't wait to try it!

Ryan said...

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious! Definitely going to have to try this as soon as possible! :) thanks for posting the recipe, love your blog!

grace said...

what a great idea for a comforting batch of soup. color me intrigued!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

We love love lasagna, my secret is sour cream instead of ricotta for a very creamy version. Bring on the snow!

Alicia Foodycat said...

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS?! Sheer genius. I have half a pack of spinach lasagne in the cupboard too.

Lori said...

A great idea. I know my husband would love this.

What a pretty little snow covered tree. I am looking forward to snow. It has been unseasonably warm this year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota