Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sautéed Garlic Scapes & Zucchini

I was planning on talking about the burgers we had for dinner made with William Sonoma's Coffee & Spice Rub.
Coffee & Spice Burger
It was a good burger though I tasted mainly spice & not really any coffee. I think a good rub all & all, I'd like to try it on chicken & see how the flavor stand out then. But really for me the burger was overshadowed by the true star of the plate, the sautéed garlic scapes and zucchini.
Sauteed Garlic Scapes & Zucchini
Our CSA newsletter suggested frying the scapes in some butter & salt and then dressing them with balsamic vinegar, which sounded like a good idea to me. We also had the first two zucchini in our garden ready to pick so I thought I'd add them too since I love zucchini cooked with garlic.
The method couldn't be simpler. Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the garlic scapes into bite-sized pieces. Melt a good amount of butter in a frying pan (I used 1 T for 2 small zucchini & 6 garlic scapes) over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic scapes & generously season with kosher salt. Let sauté for about 6 minutes. The garlic scapes will begin to soften & brown a little. Add the zucchini & cook for another 2 minutes until they begin to just brown.
Garlic Scape
I should have added some balsamic at this point but I tasted one of the garlic scapes & knew that it didn't need anymore seasoning, just the butter & salt were enough. The garlic scapes had that wonderful mellow, sweet flavor of roasted garlic. The butter had just begin to brown a little adding a touch of nuttiness. The zucchini just accepted the flavors & gave body to the dish. We probably won't get garlic scapes again this year but if we did this is how I'd prepare them.
Oh, wait...add these sautéed to a risotto...now there's a good idea...now where can I get more scapes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a Red-eye something or other recently and I didn't taste the coffee either. I do think it somehow deepened the flavors.

Of course since I can't remember what it was that may be the important detail, not the coffee.

Barbara said...

A friend just gave me some garlic scapes and zucchini and when I googled the two I found you. Thanks for suggesting such a simple prep -- that's the best way to go in my book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota