Friday, September 5, 2008

Southwestern Cobb Salad

Last night's dinner was completely Matt's idea & creation, I'm not sure if this is technically a cobb salad but that's what he told me to call it. It's really simple to put together but the ingredients packed a nice punch from the warm grilled chicken, soft black beans, crunchy grilled corn, sweet fresh tomatoes & spicy dressing.
Southwestern Cobb Salad
Matt created the chipotle ranch dressing based on what we had in the fridge & garden. The base is made from non-fat & light ingredients which help keep it a little on the lighter side. I found the dressing to be quite hot so if you are a wimp like me start with a little less chipotle powder & add more to taste.

Chipotle Ranch Dressing

(This dressing when left thick, using the smallest amount of buttermilk, would make a great dip.)

1/4 c non-fat plain yogurt
1/4 c light mayonnaise
1/4 - 1/2 c non-fat buttermilk
1 clove garlic, minced very fine
1/2 T fresh parsley, chopped fine
1/2 T fresh basil, chopped fine
1/4 t kosher salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 t dried chipotle powder

Mix everything together using only 1/4 c buttermilk. Add remaining buttermilk as needed to thin to the desired consistency.

Makes about 1 cup

For the salad we started with a bed of greens. To that we added two small chopped & seeded tomatoes. We rinsed a can of black beans & add those. We grilled one ear of corn & two small chicken breasts. The chicken breasts were rubbed with Fragrant Chili Rub before grilling. The kernels were sliced off the ears of corn & the chicken sliced & then both were added to the salad. Top everything off with the dressing & you have a tasty, filling, spicy main dish salad.

Looking for more main dish salad ideas?
BLT Bread Salad
Roasted Vegetable Salad
Asian Chicken Salad

12 comments:

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Oooh! Or maybe Greek yogurt in place of the buttermilk to make the dip. It has a little tang to it, yeah. I need some corn in my kitchen. Was your corn raw? I bet it was juicy and sweet.

Deborah said...

Is it bad that it is just after 9am and now I want a salad - like right now?? This looks delicious!

kat said...

Nikki - yogurt would be a perfect substitute, I do that a lot in my baking. The corn was grilled on the cob with the chicken.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

What a great light ceamy dressing. I am going to try it. And those cupcakes look delicious1

Lori said...

That sounds amazing. I need to use that dressing. Farily light too. Great job Matt! I love making my own dressing. Doesnt it beat out store bought for the most part!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

I couldn't help remembering the _Curb your Enthusiasm_ episode where a guy claims his grandfather invented the Cobb salad. ;D

Leslie said...

Cobb salad is one of my Favorite salads! YUMMY

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never had a Cobb salad - but I want this one! This looks so fresh and enticing!

grace said...

anything with "southwestern" or "chipotle" in the name is automatically on my yum list. this is great! :)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Looks great - making me hungry and have only just eaten. Liking the sound if the ranch dressing.

giz said...

All in all - a winner of a dish and you can call it whatever you like - the final result is still yum. Love the picture.

Mom24 said...

This is so delicious. Completely wonderful. Even my kids ate it, which is unbelievable. Thanks for the recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota