Monday, September 8, 2008

Peach & Blue Cheese Pizza

The fun of making pizza at home is you can really experiment with the different toppings. Oh, did we score a winner with this one, not your typical pizza but one we would have again & again.
Peach & Blue Cheese Pizza
This pizza combination plays the sweetness of peaches & caramelized onions against the salty, sharpness of blue cheese. A base of Fontina adds a wonderful creaminess. I would say it is an adult taste, unless you have kids with sophisticated palates who enjoy blue cheese. It was perfect for dinner but I think it would make a lovely appetizer at a party cut into small pieces, especially with some good wine. I can also see other fruits working wonderfully on this such as pears or figs.

Peach & Blue Cheese Pizza

pizza dough for 1 pizza (we use this recipe)
2 small or 1 large onion, sliced thin
2 ripe peaches
olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 c fontina cheese, grated
1/4 c blue cheese, grated (add more or less depending on how much you like blue cheese)

Preheat oven to 450 F. Grease a baking sheet.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions & allow them to cook slowly until they are golden brown & quite tender, stirring from time to time.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the peaches & allow them to boil for 1 - 2 minutes. Remove the peaches & use the tip of a sharp knife to remove their peels. Slice the peaches into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices.
Spread the pizza dough out on the baking sheet to your desired thickness. Brush a little olive oil over it. Sprinkle a layer of fontina & then a layer of caramelized onions on the dough. Arrange the peach slices in rows on top of the cheese & onions. Sprinkle the blue cheese all over the top.
Peach & Blue Cheese Pizza
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is all melted & the crust is golden brown. Allow to sit a few minutes before slicing.

Other ideas for pizza night
Homemade Pizza Dough
Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce
Asparagus & Prosciutto Pizza

15 comments:

Daniel Eizans said...

Oh Kat... you just hit some of my favorite flavors. I would have never thought to pair the peaches with the blue cheese. My wife is going to love this. I may have to make this tonight!

Joe Horn said...

Wow, Nice picture and recipe. I will have to try this next time I have a pizza night!

Deborah said...

You are killing me!! I have been craving blue cheese, and this sounds like a match made in heaven!

Anonymous said...

This looks do different and good. Using pears also sounds great. If only I could convince my husband that blue cheese won't kill him.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This sounds like a fantastic combo. Not something I would have though of myself. I love blue cheese

Alicia Foodycat said...

Wow. I would love to try that! With a little champagne cocktail you have got yourself a brilliant party nibble.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Oh jeez, peach and blue cheese? Blue cheese would make the peaches uberdelicious! And on a pizza? This is hitting all my spots.

Lori said...

That sounds amazing! What a wonderful combination of flavors. Soome grapes on their would be an idea too.
No this is definitely not a kid pizza. But what a great appetizer for a party... with a nice glass of wine.(I am temporarily escaping my reality here).

Brilynn said...

You've sold me on that pizza, it looks fabulous!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Very interesting! I might have to try this.

Shelby said...

OMG this looks absolutely wonderful. I wonder what Grumpy would say if I made this? I wouldn't care if I had to eat the whole thing!

PG said...

Interesting. I'm having a hard time imagining what this would taste like.

Nina Timm said...

I can tell you you guys love blue cheese...I do too and for me any fruit with cheese is a good match!!!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kat,
Incredible! That picture and YOUR recipe would be a wonderful addition to a post I'm doing for National Cheese Pizza Day (Sept.5th). Would you mind very much if I "grabbed" the picture to include in my post? I would of course link back to your Pizza Night post!!!

The Eatist said...

YUM.

AND..... GORGONZOLA and PINEAPPLE with aged balsamic vinegar. YUM YUM!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota