Friday, February 6, 2009

Cinnamon & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Rum Frosting

A lot of times when trying to come up with a cupcake to make each week I'll start by thinking about what ingredients I already have in the house. This week I had some mini chocolate chips leftover from making ice cream. I thought about using them with a raspberry flavored cupcake but then decided I really wanted chocolate & cinnamon.
Cinnamon & Chocolate Chip Cupcake with Chocolate Rum Icing
The flavor of these cupcakes is a bit like a muffin but the texture is lighter. The icing is rich with a more of a glaze-like texture than a buttercream would have. I decided to add rum to the icing because I knew its flavor would compliment the chocolate & cinnamon well, plus I had an open bottle on hand.

Cinnamon & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

1/4 c + 2 T all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
3 T unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 c + 1/2 T sugar
1/8 t vanilla
2 T milk
1 large egg whites
3 T mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 4 muffin tins.

In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon.

In a large bowl cream together butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add vanilla & beat. On low speed add half the flour mixture until just blended. Add milk until blended. Add remaining flour & mix until just blended.

In another bowl beat the egg white until stiff, glossy peak appear, about 2 minutes. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg into the batter until combined. Add remaining egg & fold until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Divided equally among the muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool before frosting.

Makes 4 cupcakes

Chocolate Rum Icing

2 T unsalted butter
3 T Hersey's Special Dark Coca
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T milk
1/2 t rum

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk if too thick or more powder sugar if too thin. Stir in rum. Allow to cool before icing cucpakes.

Enough to frost 6 - 8 cupcakes

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that rum, cinnamon and chocolate is pretty much the ideal combination for this time of year. Those look great!

Anonymous said...

The dribble of chocolate looks so pretty!

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat, we both did cinnamon chocolate recipes today! yay!
Great combo!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I really like the idea of the rum chocolate frosting!

Dewi said...

I must not say this, but I think there is something incredibly sexy about chocolate overflow on the cake.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just found your site today and I have already looked at all of your cupcakes recipes. :) They look delicious and I cannot wait to try some of them! I was also wondering... have you ever made a red velvet-inspired cupcake?? Thanks for all your great recipes!
-J

kat said...

Jenni - It was one of the first cupcakes I made heres the link http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2008/01/if-you-really-loved-me-youd-buy-me.html

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful. Cinnamon and rum sound so warming together.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Liking the sound of the rum icing - perhaps I'd add a bit more!!!

mistress kimberly spungen said...

These look delicious, but I don't see any chocolate chips in the recipe for the cinnamon and chocolate chip cupcakes. Were they accidentally left out of the recipe?

MsC said...

Ummm...am I the first person to notice there are no chocolate chips in the cake recipe listed? Hee!

kat said...

Kimberly & MsC - Oops! The recipe is fixed now. Can't believe I left out the chips!

Jennifer said...

Cinnamon and chocolate make sure a great pair in sweets!

grace said...

did you think you could slip the presence of rum by me? no way. this is a great spur-of-the-moment combination of ingredients, and i'd like to stick my face in one. :)

katy said...

Kat,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!

I use the cake recipe posted here as my base cupcake batter (sans cinnamon and chips, and cake flour instead of ap for an extra cakey cakeness). It's simply a brilliant recipe ^_^ so again, THANKS!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota