Friday, February 20, 2009

Dark Chocolate & Orange Cupcakes

My idea behind these cupcakes was those chocolate oranges you see in stores especially around Christmas.
Dark Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
I went with dark chocolate because I figured its flavor would stand up better to that of the orange. I was right this flavor combination was just right without either overpowering the other. I was originally going to do a chocolate frosting when it was suggested in Twitter that I do orange & then someone else suggested cream cheese, so I went with orange cream cheese. I think that was a good choice otherwise the chocolate flavor might have been too much. Plus I like that tanginess the cream cheese adds.
Dark Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
I used a little food coloring to dye part of the frosting orange for a decoration.

Dark Chocolate & Orange Cupcakes

4 T unsalted butter
2 T unsweetened dark cocoa (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
3 T water
1/2 t orange extract
1/2 c sugar
2 T buttermilk or yogurt
2 T beaten egg
1/8 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 c flour

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 5-6 muffin tins.

In a small saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the cocoa until smooth. Whisk in water. Remove from heat & whisk in the orange extract, sugar, buttermilk & egg. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Its ok if the batter is a little lumpy.

Fill the muffin tins 1/2 - 3/4 full depending on how big you want your cupcakes (I did mine 3/4 full & they were very rounded on top.)

Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Makes 5 - 6 cupcakes.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

4 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 t orange extract
zest from one small orange
3/4 - 1 c powdered sugar

Beat the butter & cream cheese together until fluffy. Beat in the orange extract & zest. Beat in sugar 1/4 c at a time until you get the desired consistency.

Makes enough to frost 6 - 8 cupcakes

20 comments:

Jen said...

Yum! I used to hate chocolate with other flavors (like mint or citrus) but now I love it. I'm going to be making cupcakes for a friends wedding this summer and these definitley go on the list of potential flavors.

vanillasugarblog said...

If you can believe it I have yet to make orange/chocolate cake or cupcakes. I love this frosting though, so thick!

toontz said...

Oh, I can't wait to try these, they sound delicious! I love orange and chocolate together!

Stacey Snacks said...

weird that I made Hershey's cupcakes for today's post.
You are the cupcake queen, I am more of a muffin queen.

Elle said...

They turned out great--they look sooo good! Chocolate and orange is one of my all time favorite flavor combos. Good call on the cream cheese, too!

Lori said...

I love chocolate/orange combo. These sound so great. A perfect Easter treat. I'll have to try them.

Kristin said...

These look great! I became a big fan of chocolate and orange while pregnant with austin!

Unknown said...

wow!!! awesome... :)

Finla said...

A delicious combo chocolate and orange.
In your recipe it is writen 2T butter milk is that correct.
What is T?

kat said...

Happy Cook - "T" is tablespoon, "t" is teaspoon

Dewi said...

Very clever!
You'll never go wrong with chocolate and orange.
Look delish Kat!
Cheers,
Elra

Kasey said...

In a word: wow. I wonder if you could get an even more intense flavor using fresh orange juice and zest.

kat said...

Kasey - I was worried orange juice wouldn't give as strong a flavor as the extract does. But if you do try it I'd replace with water in the recipe with OJ.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Choc orange is my all time favourite

Thistlemoon said...

Oh wow, Kat, those look so great! My mom would love these! She is a big dark choc/orange fan!

Lori said...

Great idea for great flavors. I could easily eat one of these. I have been having orange flavored coffee almost every morning- it would go so well.

Unknown said...

It must be true - great minds think alike. I just posted a recipe for Orange Chocolate Cupcakes with Grand Marnier Cream Cheese Frosting - and out frosting looks exactly the same. Delicious.

grace said...

how can it be that i've never feasted upon the combination of chocolate and orange? i guess i have a new task. :)

Anonymous said...

Your cupcake looks delicious and I especially like the orange frosting.

Chocolate and orange are a great flavor combo and I always love cream cheese.

Ann said...

I just discovered your blog and as soon as I saw the recipe for these dark chocolate orange cupcakes that I had to give them a try. I made a batch over the weekend and brought them in to my coworkers who raved over them! Thanks for the recipes--I'm now off to decide which one to try next!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota