Saturday, February 7, 2009

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

While I was making this week's menu Matt suggested I use the half a beef round we had in the freezer to make a pot roast.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
To me that seemed like the perfect excuse to use the crock pot. Some days there is just nothing better than letting your food slow cook all day until its ready to eat without much fuss. The slow cooking made for a flavorful dish & some really, tender juicy meat, no knife needed. They flavor (& smell) that really stood out to me was the fresh rosemary, I so happy I had some on hand. This is one of those comforting meals you just crave in the middle of winter.

You could make the juices in the pot into a gravy at the end by mixing in a little cornstarch mixed with water but we chose to just ladle a little over the meat & vegetables like an au jus.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

1 T olive oil
3/4 lb boneless beef roast
salt & pepper
1 large carrot, cut into large slices
1 large parsnip, cut into large slices
1 russet potato, peeled, cut in half & then each half quartered
1 large onion, peeled & quartered
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 spring fresh rosemary, leaves removed from the stem & chopped (or 1/2 t dried)
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried morjoram
1 1/2 c beef or chicken broth (I used a mixture)

In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Salt & pepper the roast on all sides. Add the the skillet & cook until brown on all sides. Remove & place in crock pot.

Surround the beef with the carrots, parsnips, potatoes & onions.

Mix the garlic, Worchestershire, rosemary, thyme, marjoram & broth together. Season generously with salt & pepper. Pour over the beef & vegetables. Cook on low for 7 hours.

2 servings

14 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks like such a great winter meal. I have a pot roast in the fridge for tomorrow. You reminded me that I still have rosemary in my garden. It is my only herb that lasts through the winter.

PG said...

I would be jealous of this meal...but I have leftovers! Yay for pot roast. Looks delicious.

Dewi said...

oh wow, that look really appetizing. So perfect for sunday lunch with family.
Cheers,
Elra

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Lovely and warming - great for winter

Alicia Foodycat said...

This is the second pot roast I have seen in the blogosphere today - I think I have to try it!

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh just fabulous! I love this the next day too.

Lori said...

I like the addition of rosemary.

Leslie said...

Pot roast is my favorite meal to make in the crock pot!!!

giz said...

There's something for you on our blog

grace said...

pot roast with taters, carrots, and oh-so-soft onions is one of the meals i had all the time as a youngster. it's been too long. :)

Peter M said...

Nice big, honkin' onions, veggies and slow cooked tender meat...set & forget it is the best part of slow cookers.

Maris said...

I love pot roast! It used to be my favorite dinner that my mother made when I was growing up.

Sara said...

I just love using the crockpot, it's so nice to come home to dinner already made. This sounds great.

Unknown said...

This always reminds me of sunday dinners back home. Delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota