Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pasta with Beets, Shrimp & Kale

A couple weeks ago I got it into my head that shrimp & beets would be good together. I thought the sweetness of the beets would compliment the shrimp really well. Matt, on the other hand, was quite skeptical but I went ahead with this dish anyway.
Pasta with Beets, Shrimp & Kale
There was a split decision on this dish at chez Good Appetite. I loved it. As I suspected the beets went perfectly with the shrimp & the tiny touch of heat from the red pepper gave it the perfect amount of zing. Matt was not wowed though & I put that down to the fact that he is not as big a fan of beets as I am.

Our dish ended up having a golden yellow color because we used golden beets. If you use red beets the end result will be pink.

Pasta with Beets, Shrimp & Kale

1/2 T olive oil
1/2 T butter
1 - 1 1/2 c golden beets, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 c white wine
1/4 c chicken broth
2 shallots, peeled & minced
1 large kale leaf (about 2 cups), stem removed & roughly chopped
4 oz angel hair pasta
16 shrimp, peeled (I used precooked shrimp but you can also use fresh)
1/8 - 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
salt
Parmesan

Heat the olive oil & butter over high heat. Add the beets & cook until beginning to caramelize. Add the wine, broth, shallots & kale. Bring to a boil & reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the directions. Drain & return to the pot.

Remove the lid from the pot with the beets & stir in the shrimp & red pepper. Cook until the shrimp is warm if using cooked shrimp or cooked if using fresh. Season with salt. Stir this whole mixture into the pasta. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.

2 servings

10 comments:

Dewi said...

Oh golden beets with pasta, I love it. Add kale=love it love it!
Cheers,
Elra

billjac said...

I can see beets and shrimp working together, but maybe not in this particular dish. The Parmesan in particular worries me. I'd like to try a beet and shrimp escabeche with the tartness of the vinegar marinade tying the two together.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of beets myself but I'd sure give this a try. It looks delicious and healthy. personally I like the look of the golden beets, it gives it a very appetizing color.

Thistlemoon said...

That is a totally interesting combination!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

What an interesting combination: shrimp and beets. I must admit I'm not a fan of beets, but I'm willing to try this. Plate me up! ;)

giz said...

You may have just invented the next cover of Epicurious. It's a combination I for sure would never have thought of but would certainly try.

grace said...

golden beets appeal to me much more than red beets, and i have no idea why. i'm glad you were pleased with your creation. :)

Peter M said...

Ahhh, lovely use of golden beets..this is a nifty pasta idea.b

Deborah said...

I think t sounds like an interesting combo!

Carlotta said...

My boyfriend and I have used this recipe twice this month - once with gold beets and once with red beets. We absolutely love it. It's a delicious combination of textures and flavors. Great idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota