Thursday, February 19, 2009

Crockpot Shredded Beef

Its 17 degrees outside so we certainly aren't pulling out the grill to do any slow cooking right now. But we still crave the fork tender meat you get from cooking that way. Matt's answer was to grab the crockpot, throw in a beef roast & a tangy bbq sauce & let the whole thing cook all day.
Shredded Beef Sandwiches
The smell that filled our house was so incredible I couldn't help but go steal some pieces from the pot as the beef got tender. And boy did the beef ever get tender.
Shredding the Beef
We really liked the tanginess of the sauce. It reminded me quite a bit of the tang of Carolina Mop we made this summer for pork. We served the beef on sweet onion rolls & Matt said they were his grown-up sloppy joes.

Crockpot Shredded Beef

1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 c bbq sauce (We use Wee Willy's. Minnesotans who know how to make bbq sauce!)
1 T red wine vinegar
6 oz beer (we used a pilsner)
1 1/4 lb boneless beef roast (we used a beef round tip roast)

Mix the dijon, bbq sauce & red wine vinegar in your crockpot. Cut the roast in half so it fills the whole bottom of the crockpot.
IMG_1422
Put the roast into the crockpot & flip to coat both sides. Pour the beer over the top. Set crockpot to low & cook for 6 - 8 hours, until the beef pulls apart easily with a fork.
I can't resist nibbling
Remove the beef from the crockpot, leaving the sauce, & shred with a fork. Strain any fat from the top of the sauce. Mix as much sauce as you'd like into the shredded beef.

4 servings

26 comments:

Kristin said...

I love doing beef this way too- its also amazing with chicken or pork!

Anonymous said...

Looks good. My plan for Sunday is a cabernet pot roast in the crock pot. It's that time of year...

vanillasugarblog said...

I'm ready for a couple plates of this please!

Maria said...

I really need to get out my crockpot!

Lori said...

I am salivating looking at that picture.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this kind of meal!

Maggie said...

Yum. Been doing a lot of crockpot pork, but haven't done beef yet. This looks great!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Ooh, I think I need to break out the crockpot soon! They look meltingly yummy!

Ashley said...

MmMmmmm....tender, juicy, beefy heaven!!

grace said...

the crock pot does magical things to beef, including making it much more appealing to me. this looks savory and delicious.

Giff said...

yum!

Alicia Foodycat said...

This looks so succulent and delicious!

pigpigscorner said...

ahh...the meat looks really tender and such wonderful flavours! I made pulled pork last weekend! Going to have to try beef next. I'm book marking this =) Thanks!

amycaseycooks said...

Oh my!! This is on my menu for this weekend. 17 degrees here too.

Peter M said...

Kat, that beef looks super...I want to dive into the sandwich.

PG said...

Oh...look at all of that delicious beef.

Jennifer said...

I was looking for a good crockpot recipe to serve a crowd for an upcoming event. This recipe wins!

I'll have to give this BBQ sauce a try as well, being a fellow Minnesotan.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

We had this this past weekend...it was soooo good I'm already thinking of making it again!

Thank you so much!

test it comm said...

That beef looks so moist and tender and good!

Anonymous said...

Love your website and have to say that I've made this recipe twice, using pork instead of beef and love it, it will be one of our mainstays! So easy and delicious1
Wendy

Cait said...

My boyfriend and I have made this the most often in our crock pot... we double the portions and STILL eat the whole thing between us.
It's a great treat to come home to, but it also makes it so hard to share with friends.

Thank you for sharing!!

Marley said...

I made this yesterday for my husband and I...we LOVED it! We also almost doubled the portions and ate it all! I will make this many more times! Thanks

Megan said...

That looks amazing. I would like to eat it now.... can you please pass some through my computer?

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

I googled crockpot shredded beef and this came up first! And since we met at the Foodbuzz Festival, I knew I had to make it! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made this about 6 months ago and it was yummy. I am setting it up tommorrow for tomorrow nights dinner!

jen said...

my mouth is watering just looking at this photos! i'm definitely going to try this - thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota