Friday, January 1, 2010

Kitchen Resolutions 2010

#354 - Cheers!

First a look at how we did on 2009's resolutions.

1. Make our own bacon - Now that we have a smoker we will be doing this in 2010
2. Make duck confit - I have bought the duck so step one is taken care of
3. Make duck fat french fries - See above
4. Buy meat from local farmers- We have been buying meat & produce from Chase Brook, High View & Thousand Hills
5. Get a cold smoker - We got the El Cheapo Brinkman & love it
6. Go to the farmer's market on non-CSA weeks - We've been going even on CSA weeks
7. Grow our own garlic & brussel sprouts - We did both. The garlic was a bit tiny but we are hoping for better results this year. We didn't get many brussel sprouts as a lot got eaten in the garden.
8. Can produce to use in the winter, especially tomatoes - We did a ton of canning this year past year & plan on doing it again.

And on to our resolutions for 2010

1. Make our own bacon
2. Use the farmer's market like a grocery store
3. Enter something we make in the MN State Fair (bonus points for winning a ribbon)
4. Make English muffins
5. Try making more of our own cured meats
6. Eat through everything we canned
7. Eat everything we love but in smaller portions
8. Try one new restaurant every month
9. Shop at local Asian markets

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!



If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

14 comments:

Maria said...

Great kitchen goals. Happy 2010!

Elle said...

Love these goals! And homemade english muffins are so freaking good--you won't ever want store-bought again.

Happy New Year!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Excellent goals! The smaller portions is one of mine too... Happy New Year!

Unplanned Cooking said...

Like the idea of kitchen goals -- hmm, will have to think of some for myself. Where to start??? :)

Fresh Local and Best said...

These are great goals! Happy new year!

Rose said...

Great list and good job on getting through so much on 2009's list. Wishing you a happy and healthful 2010!

Lori said...

I love the recap of your progress. I had never even considered growing my own brussel sprouts! What a great idea to enter something in the State Fair, so fun!

I love your year rewind too and am so glad you listed the shredded beef again. I have to try that with my new crockpot! Happy New Year!

George Gaston said...

kat & Matt... Those are some great New Year resolutions! I know that you will do these and more. You both inspire us to look beyond the usual and search for new things to cook, try and taste. Wishing you a Happy New Year and looking forward to reading about your creative adventures in 2010...

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Happy New Year. Haven't had time to think about resolutions yet!!!

Maris said...

Great goals! Happy New Year. You'll love homemade English muffins, I've done them twice and they're great.

Lori said...

I have been meaning to make English muffins myself. I have a recipe that you use in a coffee can. My cousin makes it all the time.

I always think of my Mom saying "can enough for this year and next year, in case of drought or some other misfortune". I do that but then I do have a few too many relishes. Its such a balance. I need to find ways to utilize my relish stock.

chow and chatter said...

wow they are the ultimate foodie goals

happy New yr

Rebecca

Lynn said...

Great resolutions! I never thought about making my own bacon . . . but I'm right with you on canning and trying to eat up what you canned. We had a banner year of tomatoes, among other things, and I currently have a little checklist on my freezer to make sure I'm going through our preserved food at the rate I need to this year :)

Anonymous said...

our group has made a resolution to buy grass fed beef at the st paul farmers' market. I think were going to try Otis Family Farm weve loved thier stuff for a long time and have two other families that are interested.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota