Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lamb with Balsamic Sauce

Don't you love a dish that looks like a really special yet takes less than a half an hour to make?
Lamb with Balsamic Sauce
I feel like this is one of those dishes. We had it on a Monday night but I could see making it for a special occasion dinner for two. Maybe it's because I think of lamb as a special treat that I only get at restaurants. Anyway, this is dead simple, you just quickly sear the lamb & then make a red wine & balsamic sauce in the same pan. We really liked the tanginess of the sauce with the slight gaminess of the lamb.

I served the lamb with a side of Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. I cooked the pilaf according to the directions & then stirred in 1 tablespoon fresh parsley & 2 tablespoons of golden raisins when done. It had a great textured, tasted wonderful with the balsamic sauce & one servings has a days worth of whole grains in it.

Lamb with Balsamic Sauce
(adapted from Cooking Light Jan/Feb '10)

1 t olive oil
4 lamb chops
kosher salt
pepper
1/4 c red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
5 T red wine, divided
1 T balsamic vinegar

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Salt & pepper the lamb chops on both sides & put in the pan. Cook on one side for about 3 minutes, until browned. Flip & cook on the second side for 4 more minutes. (This will give you a rare to medium-rare chop, cook longer if you wish.) Remove the chops to a plate & tent with foil to keep warm.
Lamb
Put the onions & garlic in the skillet, cook until the onion is translucent. Add 2 tablespoons of the red wine & bring to a boil. Cook until evaporated. Add the remaining red wine & vinegar boil until reduced by about half. Taste & season with salt if desired.

Serve the sauce over the chops.

2 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

13 comments:

George Gaston said...

kat, this looks like a dinner from a 5-star restaurant! The lamb with the balsamic sauce looks rich, succulent and delicious. Great recipe, thanks.

Mellissa said...

This looks awesome- I love lamb and saw this recipe in Cooking Light and now I know I need to make it!

vanillasugarblog said...

don't hate me kat, I'm not a lamb person but I had to comment on the balsamic sauce as you know I love a good sauce.

Thistlemoon said...

Looks fantastic! I agree, lamb is easy to cook! Wish it was more available here in FL. It goes great with balsamic!

Lynn said...

Yum, this looks delicious. Love that balsamic vinegar, and I'll bet it's fantastic with lamb. I make a pork tenderloin with mango chutney/balsamic and it's to die for :)

grace said...

although the lamb is quite enticing, i wondered what is was perched on. i love kashi products, and your addition of golden raisins is brilliant!

LoveFeast Table said...

I have to admit, I'm a kashi fan as well...plus lamb! Definitely better than a night at a restaurant!-

Fresh Local and Best said...

I have some lamb chops in the freezer waiting to be used. This looks like a great recipe for them!

Deborah said...

I've only had lamb once and didn't really love it. I need to try it again!

Lori said...

I've always wanted to try making lamb at home, but haven't yet. Sounds like this would be the recipe to try.

Lori said...

I havent had lamb in a long time. This looks absolutely delicious.

Peter M said...

The glaze looks super...tart and sweet at the same time. All hail lamb.

Jessica E. said...

great recipe. followed your directions to a T and it came out med-rare as advertised. Hubby and I loved it. Will be making again. thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota