Thursday, January 28, 2010

Red Beans, Sausage & Rice

Sometimes there is nothing more comforting than a bowl of slow cooked beans over rice.
#27 - Red Bean, Sausage & Rice
Matt has been talking about making this for two weeks & we finally got around to it last night. It was freezing cold outside so I ate a big bowl of this in front of the fireplace & it warmed me right up.

This is super simple to make but it does take time, though most of that time is hands off. You want your beans to cook low & slow until they are tender & creamy. The creaminess of the beans plays so well with the texture of the sausage & rice. The seasonings are pretty basic, it didn't even need salt, but our andouille was flavorful & had a bit of spice to it which adds a lot to the soup. If your andouille isn't as spicy or you like thing hot add a little more cayenne & some hot sauce.

Red Beans, Sausage & Rice

2 T olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 red peppers, seeded & diced
12 oz andouille sausage, cut in half length-wise then into half moon slices
1 lb red kidney beans
1/4 t cayenne pepper
3 bay leaves
Hot cooked white rice

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, peppers & sausage. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring often. Add the beans, cayenne & bay leaves then enough water to cover everything by about an inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Stir from time to time to keep the beans from sticking to the bottom. Add more water as needed. Once the beans are tender, remove the lid & cook until creamy.

Serve over hot white rice. Add hot sauce if desired.

6 - 7 Servings

Note: I think you could easily make this in a slow cooker though since I haven't tried it I'm not sure of the timing.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

10 comments:

Lori said...

One thing I need to do is experiment more with sausage. Especially in my beans. We really disliked the sausage available in Brazil (too fatty) so we got away from it. Now that I'm back to access of types from all over the world I need to experiment.

Tangled Noodle said...

Sometimes? If my husband had his way, it would be every night! Yes, we are such a bean family, I may have to change the blog name! This bowl is, plain and simple, delicious.

George Gaston said...

kat... this sounds like the perfect dish by the fire on a cold winter's night. I am definitely going to save this recipe. Thanks...

Kris said...

If going the slow cooker route, I'd probably soak the beans overnight, then drain and add with the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and do about 8 hours on low.

Peter M said...

Yum! If I had some Andouille in the house right now I'd change my dinner plans for this.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never even seen andouille for sale! But red beans and rice is fantastic.

tamilyn said...

Looks warm and comforting, but beans and I are not a match made in heaven :(

grace said...

straightforward ingredients, simply prepared. i like this a lot, folks, especially the part about the sausage. :)

Kate said...

I could eat this type of dish every week, and we usually do make a beans and rice meal of some kind quite often. The Teen will eat great northerns and black beans w/out question, but sometimes grumbles over pintos. However, if I put sausage in it, he jumps on it like a starving wolf.

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

I made this for a supper last night. It was rainy and cold and we had friends over for supper and game night. I do mine in the slow cooker (soak them overnight first) and include garlic in addition to the onion and celery. Fortunately I have some leftovers for this week...we really love our bean soups in the winter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota