Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekly Menu 1/11 - 1/16/10

While planning this week's menu & using some of our new cookbooks like 660 Curries, I realized I was going to need some new herbs & spices. Darn, I guess that meant we HAD to make a trip to Penzeys Spices.
Penzeys Trip
I feel lucky to have a Penzeys in town. We could ordered what we needed from them online but it's fun to be able to smell all the different things while browsing the shelves. Of course we ended up with a few more things than we went in for.
Penzeys Haul
We bought a few things we need for curries and then Matt wanted some Epazote to use in bean dishes. We started smelling all the different cinnamons & just had to get a jar of the strong Vietnamese version which is supposed to be amazing in baked goods. The vanilla seeds were just a staple we were out of & pretty reasonable priced. I can't wait to start all these out in recipes this week.

A few things moved over from last week since Matt had to travel last minute...

Ad Hoc Chicken Pot Pie

Tuesday night we'll have a dinner & movie date night

Asian Meatballs with Peanut Fried Rice from Vanilla Sugar

Beef Stew

Grilled Chicken Biryani

Pasta, Beans & Bacon

Our lunch soups this week will be Beef & Barley and Miso Barley.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

6 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

How nice to have a spice store so close to you!
I need to get some better quality dried herbs and spices in my cabinet.

Gretchen said...

I love Penzey's. We have one in Portland, OR, too. It's across town, but I make sure we get over there a couple of times a year. We love their garlic salt on lots of things.

Lori said...

That must have been torture to go there. What a sacrafice! :)

Penzey's was popular with some of my old coworkers here in KY, but catalog only. I've seen the catalog, but sadly have never tried their products. The photos look amazing though. And all those cinnamons! What fun!

Lori said...

So funny I made those Asian meatballs with peanut fried rice the other day. I never took any pictures though. They looked so incredible on her blog. Mine were a little dry because I used lean pork loin. They were still good though.

I love Penzey's. I sure wish we had one near. I lvoe ordering from them. I bought their epazote- a bigger jar and I am nearly through the whole thing. It makes such a huge taste difference in eban dishes. Well worth it.

Michelle said...

I love Penzeys and buy their Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon by the pound!

Kassy said...

We just went there for the first time today and it was great! It's nice getting such a variety and being able to smell them all before buying. We got lots of fun new things to try :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota