Thursday, February 25, 2010

Brown Sugar Roasted Salmon

Another tasty salmon dish this week. This was one I found in an ad for Norwegian Salmon in Cooking Light.
#55 - Brown Sugar Roasted Salmon
I think what really appealed to me was the idea of the sweetness of the brown sugar & maple syrup with the oily fish. The fish cooks with the brown sugar on top caramelizing into the flesh. The sauce that goes on top mixes the maple syrup with a a tangy mustard and a little dill. Its a bit like a honey mustard sauce but the syrup has a deeper flavor & the dill is just a good pairing with the fish.

This is a super fast & easy dish to make, perfect for a busy weeknight but I also think good enough to serve to company. If I was making this for entertaining I'd have the fish chilling with the sugar on it & the sauce made before guests arrive. Then all that would be left to do would be cook the salmon. I'm betting it would be good cooked on a grill too.

Brown Sugar Roasted Salmon with Maple Mustard Dill Sauce
(adapted from a Norwegian Salmon ad)

2 T brown sugar
1/2 t ground pepper
1/4 t kosher salt
2 salmon filets, about 6 oz each
1 T olive oil
2 T maple syrup
2 T country-style Dijon mustard
1 t dried dill

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix the brown sugar, pepper & salt together. Rub on the flesh side of the salmon, using all the mix. Place on a plate & cover loosely with plastic wrap & chill for 15 minutes.

Coat a small baking dish with 1 1/2 t olive oil. Put the salmon on the oil, skin side down. Drizzle the remaining oil over the top. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until desired doneness.

Stir the syrup, mustard & dill together to create a sauce.

Serve the salmon with the sauce over the top.

2 servings.

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

17 comments:

Kate said...

When I met my husband I discovered that he didn't like salmon, so I made him a salmon dish with a maple syrup glaze that won him over. It's the only way that The Teen will eat salmon. Yours looks marvelous. I can just about taste it!

Scorpio Woman said...

It looks so yummy. I like to try different recipes with salmon. Thanks for the recipe :) I'll try it.

Elle said...

I'm not a huge salmon fan, but even that looks wonderful! I'll be it would be great on the grill.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I have got to try this Kat. The salmon looks so tasty

Sook said...

Ooh salmon with sweet sauce. That sounds so delicious!

Emily said...

This looks so tasty! I actually have never tried salmon!

grace said...

salmon has never really enticed me as much as what you've depicted and described here. that sauce sounds pretty stellar too--i'll bet it'd be good on pork too!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I really like the simplicity of this recipe! This is great for those busy week nights.

George Gaston said...

kat... what a beautiful glaze for your salmon! It looks amazing.

Annie said...

our landlady gave my husband and i some salmon her Alaskan son caught. i've been biding my time trying to figure out what to do with it. i'm gonna give this recipe a whirl. it looks fabulous!

Deborah said...

I love glazed salmon - and this makes me realize I haven't even had fish in much too long.

Sharon said...

Salmon pairs so well with sweeter sauces or glazes. Definitely a great recipe. I'd love to try this on the grill as well.

Peter M said...

That fillet is calling me, calling me. I nice sweet and savory flavour combo.

Heide Mc.™ said...

This recipe sounds so good. i'll have to try this.

Michelle said...

WOW...salmon and brown sugar...WOW! What a taste explosion!!

Young Adventures... said...

I made this for dinner last night. I used regular dijon instead of the country-style, because that is what I had. My whole family loved this, including the kids! This recipe is a keeper! Thanks so much for sharing!

carrieknitscake said...

I made this tonight! My husband loved it. It was my first glazed salmon!! It's a definite make again for us. Your sausage and peppers and this recipe are in rotation in our house!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota