Friday, February 26, 2010

Farfalle with Lamb Ragu

We've had a half pound of lamb stew meat sitting in the freezer for awhile that needed to be used soon. A quick run through the meat grinder attachment of our Kitchen Aid turned it into the perfect meat for this pasta dish.
Farfalle with Lamb Ragu
I will say Matt was dubious about dinner. He just doesn't like lamb as much as I do but once he started eating it he declared loved it. For a quick cooked sauce it had a nice rich flavor. The original recipe called for less tomatoes than I used & some chicken broth. I decided to just use all tomatoes & added some tomato paste. I think the broth & the pasta cooking water they also wanted you to add, would just water the sauce down. The ricotta was a wonderful in this, when you stirred it in the whole dish began lovely & creamy.

You could easily substitute ground beef for the lamb in this recipe though the flavor will be a little different, still good but different.

Farfalle with Lamb Ragu
(Adapted from Cooking Light March '10)

1 T olive oil
8 oz ground lamb (beef would work too)
kosher salt
1/2 c onion, chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c white wine
2 c crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
1 T tomato paste
pepper
8 oz farfalle
ricotta

Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb & cook through, breaking it up as you cook, about 5 minutes. Remove the lamb from the skillet draining any fat. Season the lamb with a pinch of salt & set aside.

Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet & stir in the onion & carrot. Cook until tender, about another 5 minutes. Add the rosemary & garlic then cook for a minute more. Return the lamb to the skillet. Stir in the wine & bring to a boil. Cook until almost all the liquid is gone. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, a few grind of pepper & a couple pinches of salt. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer uncovered until reduced to a thick sauce, about 15 minutes depending on how liquid your tomatoes were.

While the sauce is simmering cook the pasta according to the directions. Drain. Stir the pasta into the sauce.

Sprinkle some ricotta over each serving.

4 servings

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

12 comments:

Lori said...

I love lamb. Have not had it in so long. Seems everytime I get it I grind it and make gyros. Just can't help myself. This does look like a recipe that could deter me from my gyros.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I have to say I'm not the biggest lover of lamb, but I'm experimenting with it a bit more recently. I need that Kitchen Aid attachment..one for the birthday list

Maria said...

I am always up for a good pasta dish!

George Gaston said...

kat, it sounds like a wonderful pasta sauce! I love your quick thinking dinner ideas.

Lo said...

As a fellow lamb lover, I'm totally with you on this dish. I often make my bolognese with lamb (or a mixture of beef, pork, & lamb.

I love those little lumps of ricotta cheese. So good!

grace said...

wonderful impromptu use for your lamb! i'm sure that with the presence of the tomatoes and hearty farfalle, the lamb flavor was just strong enough to be noticed but not predominant. lovely.

Sook said...

Ooh lamb ragu! Sounds awesome!

The Wife said...

This looks and sounds great! I really love Lamb, but have never cooked with ground Lamb before. I think ground venison could be nice as well!

jillian said...

This sound so good. I love adding ricotta on top of pasta.

Michelle said...

We love lamb although I never had it in a pasta dish before. Interesting!

One of the most outstanding photos I've seen a long time!

Peter M said...

I love this dish cause it has lamb, rosemary the herb of choice and the use of farfalle...my grandmas always served farfalle.

Giff said...

the ricotta wouldn't have occurred to me - must try it; we just got back from australia where the lamb really puts what we have in the states to shame (ours tastes far more mutton-y)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota