Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Piragi - Latvian Ham Rolls

Friday night for the Olympics Opening Ceremonies, we hosted a party where we asked everyone to pick a country to represent then bring a dish from that country to share. I picked the Baltic country of Latvia just so I could make these.
Piragi
There is a pretty big Latvian community in the Twin Cities & if you ever go to one of their events or parties you are bound to see a plate of these Piragi. Whenever I say the name people assume I'm talking about the more commonly known pirogi. Piragi though, are little loaves of sweet white bread that has been enriched with an egg & then stuffed with a combination of onion, bacon & ham. When there is a batch of them available I can't get enough, so its a good thing this recipe makes a lot (though they do freeze well if you aren't as piggy as me).
#43 - Piragi
These are irresistible hot fresh out of the oven but I think I like them just as much at room temperature. I think they are taste just the way they are but Matt thought dipping them in a little mustard was a good addition.

Piragi - Latvian Ham Rolls

Dough

2 1/4 t yeast
1/4 c warm water
3/4 c warm milk
1/2 c butter, at room temperature
2 t salt
3 T sugar
1 large egg, beaten
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
vegetable oil

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.

In a mixer combine the warm milk, butter, salt & sugar. Mix in the dissolved yeast, egg & 1 1/2 cups of flour & mix well. Add the remaining flour & mix to create a soft dough. Knead either by hand or with a dough hook in the mixer until the dough is smooth. This dough is quite soft. Put into a greased bowl, cover with a clean dish towel & let rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Filling

5 oz yellow onion, finely chopped
5 strips of good bacon, finely chopped
1/2 lb smoked ham slices, finely chopped
1/4 t ground pepper

In a skillet over medium-high heat cook the onion & bacon until the onion is translucent & the bacon is starting to crisp. Add the ham & pepper. Mix well. Cool to room temperature before using.

Assembly

1 large egg, beaten well

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time roll it out to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 2-inch circles. Place a teaspoon or so of the filling in the middle of each circle. Fold the edges in over the filling & pinch to seal. The final shape should be like a little loaf of bread.
Making PiragiMaking Piragi
Making PiragiMaking Piragi
Place on a baking sheet that is either greased or topped with a silicone pad seam side down. Let rise again about 15 minutes. Brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown (mine took 11 minutes).
Piragi
Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes about 80

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

17 comments:

Rose said...

Oh do those look good!

vanillasugarblog said...

omg! makes 80! I would easily eat 40! those look sooooo good woman!

Anonymous said...

So fun to see this post! I'm Latvian, and make piragi for special events (well, and not so special events because they are to die for!). Two things I would augment in your recipe that I swear by: I always add a healthy dose of cardamom to the dough when mixing, and I add nutmeg to the bacon, ham, onion and pepper filling. Both kick up the favor of piragi and make it really something special! Sveiks!

Joanne said...

These look delicious! Although I'm pretty sure I could polish off half a batch. Easy.

Justin said...

ha, i'm with dawn on this one... i'd eat the other 40.

Stacy and Brian's Adventures in Life said...

Yummy! Any future posts about the party? We'd love to hear the rest of the menu....what a great idea!

grace said...

i was gonna say that latvia was an obscure nation to choose, but then again, i don't know any latvians. these little nuggets of hand food look terrific--i can tell why you'd pick such a random country just to make 'em!

Lori said...

Wow Kat- these are great. What a wonderful idea for a party.

Lori said...

What a great party snack and I absolutely love that serving bowl! The best part is that they are homemade and not popped in the oven from the freezer. They do look just as perfect though.

Lo said...

What a great idea for an Olympics party -- bet there was plenty of wonderful food there! The rolls look delicious... and I'll bet they'd make superb leftovers. Provided there are any leftovers, of course! :)

Deborah said...

Being the carb lover that I am, I know I'd love these!

Elle said...

Love love love! I'd be piggy, too. Not even freeze any!

Side note? LOVE your piggy dish!

Anonymous said...

When I was young, our nearest neighbor was a lady who had emigrated from Latvia with her husband and children after WW II. She made these for my family once and even though it was almost 30 years ago, I still remember how good they tasted! I am so looking forward to making them myself!!!

MrOrph said...

yeah, i don't think there would be any left in my house. i'm bookmarking this dish.

Alicia Foodycat said...

They look wonderful! I bet Paul would love them the next time he goes fishing.

Unknown said...

My daughter is marrying an Australian Latvian and piragi's are on the wedding menu. Does anyone know where these can be purchased frozen, or ordered online or do we have to make them? mmmm they are so good!

Anonymous said...

I'm latvian and these look as yummy as the ones I've always eaten from the Latvian bazaars held in the Twin Cities. I can't wait to try them out myself so I don't have to wait for the two times a year someone else makes them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota