Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Minnesota Chicken and Waffles

Or... Waffles, not just for breakfast anymore. (Matt wanted me to say that.)
#36 - Minnesota Chicken & Waffles
When I was coming up with our weekly menu Matt told me he had an idea for a savory wild rice waffle topped with chicken in a sauce. Chicken & waffles is something that has been around forever but typically I think of fried chicken with waffles (which I'm most familiar with from the movie Tapeheads).

Our version is just total comfort food. A fluffy waffles gets a nutty flavor & a little texture from some Minnesota wild rice. Then its topped with a creamy chicken & mushroom sauce, almost like the filling in a hot dish. We were happy people eating this for dinner. Matt is already dreaming of other savory waffle & topping combinations.

Minnesota Chicken & Waffles

Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Sauce

1 1/2 T unsalted butter
4 oz crimini mushrooms, stems trimmed then sliced
1 T sherry
2 T all-purpose flour
1 c chicken stock
leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme
1/4 c heavy cream
1 c cooked chicken, chopped
salt & pepper

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft. Stir in the sherry & cook until syrupy. Sprinkle in the flour & cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time, letting thicken between additions. Stir in the thyme & the cream. Cook until bubbly & thick. Add the chicken & cook until heated through. Season with salt & pepper.

Wild Rice Waffles
(adapted from I'm Just Here for More Food)

1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 t sherry vinegar
1/2 cooked wild rice (please use real wild rice not a blend)

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl whisk the butter, eggs, milk & vinegar together. Stir in the wild rice. Pour into the dry mixture & stir until the batter just comes together, do not over mix. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Cook in a hot waffle iron that has been treated with cooking spray.

Makes 3 waffles

Serve the hot sauce over the waffles.

Makes 2 large servings.



If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2010 Kathy Lewinski

19 comments:

Lori said...

Ha,ha! Love the first line. We saw Roscoe's on the FoodNetwork a few years ago and were intrigued. We haven't been there, but get chicken and waffles when we go to Vegas. Then a new restaurant in our town started serving them. It is the ultimate sweet salty combo for me.

This variation sounds so good! I love the creativity with the wild rice waffle.

Tangled Noodle said...

Good gawd, this is awesome! I'm all for tossing the rulebook out and having a 'breakfast' item for dinner. I don't have a waffle iron, though; how about aebleskivers as a version of chicken and dumplings? When Matt comes up with those new toppings, be sure to share!

Elle said...

This is total comfort food! It looks so good and creamy...makes me want some!

Scorpio Woman said...

It looks so yummy. I have to try savory waffles. Thanks for the recipe :)

Unknown said...

My grandmother used to make "chicken ala king" for us when we were little on toast - basically chicken in white sauce with peas and red pepper - it was a little weird, but we liked it - I bet it would be good on wild rice waffles - thanks for the idea! We just made pizza waffles a couple weeks ago - I have yet to post about it, but it's on my list of things to do :)

vanillasugarblog said...

I would totally devour this!

Jess said...

Ohhh, this sounds so good! I'm totally making it for dinner this week. Thank you!

Angie's Recipes said...

I could just eat all the creamy mushroom chicken sauce alone!

Lo said...

This looks so good! Savory waffles rock!

Last time we made fried chicken & waffles, we served it with a mushroom gravy, so this is right up my alley.

Joanne said...

This takes having breakfast for dinner to a whole new level! Now I am thinking of all the different variations you could do with this...the options really are endless!

Sook said...

Oh wow, I've never had anything like this. Looks delicious!

Peter M said...

I think it would be totally devlish to stack the waffles and lay more chicken and sauce on top.

George Gaston said...

kat & Matt... I enjoyed the video! But your chicken & waffles are the star here. It looks so delicious. I have never thought of waffles in this way, but I bet they are terrific.

grace said...

savory waffles. so wrong, yet so very, very right. interesting sauce/topping--waffles really haven't ever looked so good!

Lori said...

Never heard of them. Can so see why they would be real delicious.

Michelle said...

WOW...I've not had Chicken and Waffles since I was a kid and I want some right now!

Looks so good with your gorgeous photos!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

I'm really intrigued by the wild rice aspect of the waffles!

Deborah said...

That does look like total comfort food. I have to admit that I've never had chicken and waffles before, but this sounds like a delicious version!

AmyRobynne said...

Just made this for dinner and it was amazing. That could just be my 6 month pregnant self talking, but even my 6 year old (who wanted to know what the icky smell was while the rice was cooking) scarfed down waffle after waffle. So very tasty -- thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota