Monday, January 28, 2008

Chicken Mole with Chipotles

I've made mole once before for an aphrodisiac themed dinner my supper club in San Francisco had. Chocolate & a little spice, seemed to fit the bill. Bon Appétit calls this a streamlined version of mole.
Chicken Mole with Chipoltes

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 3 pieces
2 T ground cumin
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 14 1/4 oz cans chili-style chunky tomatoes in juice
1 c canned chicken broth
2 T minced canned chipolte chiles plus 1 T adobo sauce
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped

Coat chicken on all sides with cumin, Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Heat oil in large heavy pot over med-high heat. Add chicken; sauté until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onion & sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, chipolte chilies, adobo sauce & chocolate & bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to med-low & simmer until chicken is cooked through & sauce slightly thickens, about 20 minutes. Season with salt & pepper. Serve over rice.

Makes 4 servings.

As I've mentioned before I am a wimp about hot foods so I used closer to 1 T of the minced chipolte. There was just a whisper of heat. Also I couldn't find chili-style tomatoes so I used fire-roasted which may have also lessened the heat though I'm afraid maybe took some flavor out, perhaps if I have this problem next time I'll add a little chili pepper. The chocolate seems to come through as more of an aroma than a taste. This was a nice hearty meal but not really a wow. Matt wants to use the leftovers as enchilada filling which i think could be quite good.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This looks great Matt, I'm going to make it tomorrow night for dinner. With your above recipe of the roasted winter vegetables, I take the same mix of vegetables, plus some garlic, nutmeg and chicken stock. Brown the garlic and onions and chopped sprouts, put the chicken stock in with the rest of the vegetables, simmer for an hour. Blend in a processor, serve with crusty bread and eat!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota