Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry II

You know there are some foods that no matter how good they taste they just aren't photogenic, curry is one of those foods. 
Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry II
When I make chicken & sweet potato curry I usually use the Rachel Ray recipe but this time I decided to a different version. Basically this is my Indian Butter Chicken recipe but I've changed the method of putting it together to make it a one dish meal instead of two. It's certainly a tasty curry though the flavor of the sweet potato was a little overpowered by the sauce.

Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry II

1 T olive oil
1 chicken breast, cut into small bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, cut into large pieces
1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into thin slices
2 T unsalted butter
2 t lemon juice
1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
1/2-piece of ginger, peeled & crushed
1 t cumin
1 t garam marsala
1 t chili powder
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 14 oz can whole tomatoes, drained & chopped
1 T tomato paste
1/4 c plain yogurt
1 c half & half
1 T cornstarch
1/4 c water

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, onion & sweet potato. Cook until the chicken is cooked through & the sweet potatoes are beginning to soften. Add the butter to the pan & melt. Add the lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cumin, garam marsala, chili power & cayenne pepper. Stir & cook for about one minute. Add the tomato & tomato paste & cook a few more minutes. Stir in the yogurt & half & half. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is completely tender. Mix the cornstarch with the water & stir into the curry. Allow to thicken. Serve over rice.

Serves 3

On a totally unrelated note...
Some of you know that I do quite a bit of knitting. When I lived in San Francisco I often did window displays for Noe Knit which often involved knit food (cupcakes, wedding cake, bbq, donuts, etc...). Well last night I'm watching The Colbert Report & he's doing a story on subversive knitting when up pops this picture.
Matthew's knitting turkey
I just about jumped out of my seat...that's my picture of the turkey my friend Matthew knit for the Thanksgiving window! I guess someone at the show was looking through Flickr...how random.

16 comments:

Lori said...

This curry sounds wonderful! I love all combinations of curry. That turkey is hilarious!

Maria said...

I love curry! This one looks excellent!

Peter M said...

LOL at the turkey warmer and kudos to the curry...great with some Basmati.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Looks good to me. I love that turkey.

Jen said...

Your photo on Colbert?! That's so cool.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Curry looks yum. turkey looks cool too!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow that is so weird to have your photo on the Colbert Report!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

That turkey is too cute!

amycaseycooks said...

I have never made a curry - I have only used it as an ingredient in soup. There are some many more recipes I need to try and this is one of them.

the wandering fork said...

Haha! That's so great. :)

PG said...

The turkey is famous! That's hilarious. I watched some of the show, but ended up flipping to Grey's or ER.

test it comm said...

Looks good! I like using sweet potatoes in curries.

Deborah said...

this sounds delicious. I could go for a big plate of it for lunch today!

Dazy said...

I have some good mania for chicken curry. And my kids also do like this. I plan to make it for my family and give them a surprise.

Anonymous said...

sounds just the ticket, but what is 'half and half'??

kat said...

Anonymous - You know half & half might be an American thing, its a mixture of half milk & half cream.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota