Friday, December 5, 2008

What we did with CSA box #15 & what's in box #16

Not as many dishes as usual as we were gone for the holiday...
What we did with CSA box #15
1. Beef & Root Vegetable Crockpot Stew 2. Butternut Squash Moli 3. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup 4. Honey Mustard Chicken Pot Pie 5. Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry 6. Root Vegetable & Sausage Lasagna

& box #16
What's in CSA box #16
Savoy Cabbage - Matt wants a cabbage soup
Carrots - Its time to freeze some carrots!
Parsnips - This will either get roasted or put in a stew
Golden Potatoes - Roasted, in Gratin...I'm so glad we got potatoes
Sweet Potatoes - These are the last of the season & I've really been enjoying them in so many dishes
Festival Squash - I have four of these now & they store so well in our cool basement I think I'll hold on to them until my parents come to visit over Christmas
Beauty Heart Radish - More radishes! I have a fridge full & I'm stumped on ways to use them other than crudite, salads & sandwiches.
Black Radish - This is supposed to be a really strong radish
Horseradish - Yum, fresh horseradish! Great on a steak
Celeriac - Probably more soup
Golden Turnip - This will probably be roasted
Red Beets - So wonderful roasted with a little olive oil & salt
Onion - I'm loving these little onions, they are so perfect when you just need a little for a recipe or to roast whole.

Only 3 more boxes left for this season...

7 comments:

Pat said...

Kat,
We use this recipe for a tasty Radish Dip. One more thing to do with a surplus of radishes.
RADISH DIP
8 ounces Cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
dash of paprika
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup finely chopped radishes
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, blend cream cheese, butter, celery salt, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Fold in radishes and scallions. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
This recipe came from:
www.hartwoodwinery.com/nine.html

Hope you and Matt both enjoy this and have Happy Holidays! Pat

billjac said...

Radishes are nice roasted with garlic, capers and anchovies. You might try that. Maybe not if you're going to be roasting the beets and turnips.

kat said...

Pat - Thanks for the idea. I'll try that when we have guests over the holidays.

Bill - I've never though to roast them.

giz said...

You're so ambitious - I wish I were nearly as disciplined about making the absolute best use of the boxes.

PG said...

Your use of your CSA box never ceases to amaze me. I'd be proud of myself for making use of 1/3 of those products. I've never cooked with fresh radishes. But I love hoarseradish...well the jar stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a black radish before. I'm curious to see what you do with it.

Maris said...

Wow, after looking at these photos I am DYING to join a CSA!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to invite you to have a look on a funny home-made decoration - the radish mouse on cold spread.

http://hubschrauber.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/maus-auf-brot-hors-doeuvre/

Best regards from Germany
Rosemarie

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota