Friday, April 10, 2009

Chicken, Black Bean & Corn Chili

This might be my favorite of all the chilies we've ever made. That's saying a lot because we make chili quite often in the winter & Matt really has a way with it.
Chicken, Black Bean & Corn Chili
This chili just has lots of flavor without being hot (of course Matt added hot sauce to his bowl). I've never used poblano chiles before but I really loved its mild taste. For the corn we used MN sweet corn that I had frozen when it was in season last year. Really, it had the most incredible sweetness & crispness that played well with the other more savory seasonings.

You can serve this chili with any of your favorite toppings. Matt liked it with some mild grated cheese, like Monterey Jack. I liked it with a scoop of plain yogurt (my substitute for sour cream) because it added just a touch of tartness.

Chicken, Black Bean & Corn Chili

1 c dried black beans
2 T olive oil
1 T cumin seeds
2 T chili powder
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 poblano chile, seeded & chopped
2 T tomato paste
20-oz canned fired roasted diced tomatoes (not really exact we used about a can & a half because we had some leftovers. You could just use one can & add more chicken broth if the chili seems dry)
2 c cooked chicken, chopped
2 c chicken broth
1 c fresh or frozen corn

Put the beans & 3 cups water in a saucepan & bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover & let sit for 1 hour. Bring back to a boil, cover, reduce heat & simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender. Add more water if needed during simmering. Drain & set aside.

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds & chili powder. Cook while stirring for about a minute. Add the onion, garlic & poblano & cook until the onion is translucent. Add the tomato paste & stir for about a minute. Add the beans, tomatoes, chicken & chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to simmer & allow to cook for 30 minutes.

Stir in the corn & cooked until the corn is hot. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.

5 - 6 servings

14 comments:

Elle said...

This looks incredible! i love chili, any time of year!

Giff said...

love fresh poblanos (or dried ancho chiles) in chili! And tomatillos too! this looks delicious. I love chili any time of year.

Dragon said...

The corn gives this chili and amazing colour. I love all the ingredients in here.

Sam said...

That looks fantastic, I love chili!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I was looking at a bag of black beans in the cupboard and wondering what to do with it. I think I have decided!

Christina Kim said...

This looks so tasty! Do you think I could use canned black beans instead of dried?? Thank you!

Jude said...

Love the deep dark colors. I'm gonna have to go with the yogurt option, too.

grace said...

i, too, would add some hot sauce, but only to make this stellar chili absolutely unbeatable. excellent corn use. :)

Deborah said...

I love poblanos - this looks like a beautiful chili!

kat said...

Christina - You can totally use a can of black beans instead of dried. Your chili may not have to simmer as long since the beans will be pretty tender already.

Peter M said...

Kat, I see you're squeezing in some last minutes winter dishes...the nights are cool despite in being Spring.

Christina Kim said...

Thanks, Kat!! This is near the top of my list of dishes I need to make. I've never tried using dried beans before; I've always gone for the quick route with canned!

Andrea said...

I have always used canned beans, but your method seems easy. Does this work for all dried beans?

kat said...

Andrea - The method should work for all dried beans.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota