Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Smoked Sweet Potatoes

Ok, so I just had to tell you all about this side dish that Matt came up with over the weekend. There really isn't that much to it but the flavor was amazing. We decided to grill burgers on Saturday because it was so nice & I suggested sweet potatoes as a side. We usually make sweet potato fries or just bake them but Matt said why not try smoking them. I was up for trying something new so, I told him to go for it.
Smoked Sweet Potato
We washed the potatoes, pricked them a few time with a fork & coated them with a little olive oil & salt. Then we put them into a Smoker Bag. (We'd bought a bunch of smoker bags when we lived in an apartment & had no place to grill outside. They really give food a great smoky flavor & can be used in the oven or on a grill, though I found they really make your house smell like a smoker when you use them in the oven.) Then we put the bag on a grill that was about 375 - 400 F. We let the potatoes cook for about 45 minutes. The time will vary with the size of your potatoes & heat of the grill but should be the same as it would be to bake them in the oven.
Smoked Sweet Potato
The final result was perfectly done sweet potato with the skin just slightly crisp & a little caramelized in some spots with a fluffy flesh. They were sweet & creamy with a rich smokiness. They tasted so amazing we didn't even need to add any butter to them at all, which says a lot because I love butter on all potatoes. We used Jersey Sweets (light yellow flesh) for our potatoes because we prefer them over Yams (orange flesh) but I'm sure either would work. I want to try these on the grill again this summer using a smoker box instead of the bag to see if we get as intense a smoky flavor.

7 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

I love this idea! They look like they turned out perfect.

Christina Kim said...

Whoa, that is very creative, smoked sweet potatoes! I've never actually had a yellow fleshed sweet potato before, is the flavor the same as the orange?

grace said...

i'll go ahead and add this to my list of grievances against my apartment complex--no grills allowed. dang, that's a good-looking spud.

Amy P. said...

Intriguing! Is there somewhere in the Twin Cities that you can buy smoker bags or do you have to order them online?

Alicia Foodycat said...

That is a brilliant idea! The flesh looks so perfectly fluffy.

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds AWESOME! I love sweet potatoes and I bet they did taste amazing like this!

Tangled Noodle said...

Sweet potatoes are a fave and smoking them sounds fantastic! We actually have a stovetop smoker that I haven't used in a while. Time to dust it off!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota