Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cold Brewed Coffee

With the weather getting warmer Matt is craving iced coffee. We recently got a sample of Starbuck's new Via instant coffee in the mail to try. Matt really liked it for making iced coffee but its rather pricy & not for sale yet in Minneapolis. So, he looked for another option.
Cold Brewed Coffee
What he came up with was cold brew coffee. Sure, its not as immediate at using an instant coffee but he's able to use our favorite decaf French roast to make it. Plus cold brewing makes for a very smooth cup of iced coffee without bitterness.
Cold Brewed Coffee
This was our first experience with it & it came out really good. We started by putting 5 scoops of ground coffee in a jar (I think 4 would have been enough) & then added about 1 1/2 - 2 cups cold water. Let sit in the fridge for about 12 hours. Strain to remove the coffee grounds (Matt did this by putting a little cheese cloth over the mouth of the jar & then pouring it through). This makes a strong coffee mixture. Serve over ice & dilute with some water or milk to taste (Matt adds some hazelnut syrup too). This will make about 1 large serving. 

14 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

I live on iced coffee, even when it's 20 degrees outside.
Gotta have it, but I don't want HOT coffee over ice! Why don't restaurants get that????

kellypea said...

I'm wondering what this would be like actually brewed in milk. It would make yummy ice cream I'll bet...

Lori said...

I love iced coffee in the summer. This is a fantastic idea.

vanillasugarblog said...

isn't this the best? I lived off this last summer when I finally learned how to do it right. Awesome.

Leslie said...

mmmm coffee..I cant live without it!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never heard of cold-brewing coffee, but I love a proper, strong iced coffee and this looks like the perfect way to get it.

Sharon said...

What a great idea! We use instant espresso for iced lattes, but I haven't come up with anything for iced coffee. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!

Christina Kim said...

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I had no idea you could cold-brew coffee! I love the smell of coffee, but for some reason, I just can't seem to get it down.

Sam said...

Sounds like just the thing for the summer!

Dragon said...

I love the addition of hazelnut syrup!

Lori said...

Wow, what a great method. I am a huge coffee fan, but have never tried cold brew. This sounds great for a hot summer day.

grace said...

that's very interesting--i didn't know there was a technique for cold brewing coffee. please don't take away my coffee-lover's card. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a convert to cold-brew. It tastes so much smoother and is healthier for you. The really awesome thing is that it doesn't get rancid over time like regularly brewed coffee. We make a huge batch every weekend and it stays super tasty all week. Plus your morning coffee is ready much quicker!

Pam said...

I so luv iced coffee....yum!

Enjoy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota