Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pork Chops with Pomegranate Balsamic Sauce

We had some pork chops in the freezer that needed to be used but I wasn't sure what to do with them. Then I saw the last bottle of POM pomegranate juice in the fridge & thought it would make a great sauce for pork.
Pork Chop with Pomegranate Balsamic Sauce
(No matter what I tried I couldn't get a good photo of this pork chop.)

The brining of the chops takes a little time but otherwise this dish is really quick to put together. The sauce had a great sweet & tart flavor that complimented the pork really well. The brine doesn't add a ton of flavor but it certainly keeps the pork chops juicy, something that has been problem for us in the past.

Pork Chops with Pomegranate Balsamic Sauce

2 T brown sugar
2 T kosher salt
1/4 c sherry vinegar
1 1/2 c cold water
pepper
2 boneless pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick
2 1/2 T unsalted butter
1 T sugar
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 c pomegranate juice

In the morning you are planning to cook the pork chop put the brown sugar, salt, sherry vinegar, water & a good grind of fresh pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Massage a bit to dissolve the sugar & salt. Add the pork chops & seal the bag getting out as much air as possible. Place in a bowl incase of leaks & put in the refrigerator for about 8 hours turning from time to time. 

Remove the pork chops from the brine, rinse with cold water & pat dry. Pepper both sides (Do not add more salt as the brine will have added plenty.) Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pork chops & cook for about 6 minutes per side, basting with the butter occasionally. 

When the pork is done remove it to a plate & tent with foil to keep it warm. Add the sugar, balsamic vinegar & pomegranate juice to the hot skillet. Stir & bring to a boil. Keep stirring until thick. Whisk in the last 1/2 tablespoon of butter. 

Serve the sauce over the chops.

2 servings

Have a fantastic holiday weekend everyone!

8 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

POM and pork always pair so well together don't they?

Leslie said...

Ohhh..I need to make this. I got my case of POM in the mail!

Sam said...

Meat is always hard to photograph but I think you've done a good job, it looks delicious!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks really good - I don't often do pork chops because they usually come out dry and wooden when I do, but I think these must be so succulent and juicy!

Lori said...

Actually I was thinking that was a good photo. I was thinking it was close up and I wish my lens would get that close.

It does look very juicy and succulent. I love the pomegranate ideas and I bet POM does too!

Deborah said...

Oooh, I just got my POM juice and was thinking of what to do with it...

Maris said...

Sounds delicious! I've seen a lot of POM juice around the blogosphere lately and I can't wait to use mine.

I made pork chops for the first time last week and used a cranberry based marinade that was delicious.

Peter M said...

Yum, a double-whammy of healthy goodness - balsamic and pom juice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota