Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blue & Green Tart

This tart was another way for me to use up all the blue cheese we currently have in the fridge leftover from the beer tasting we did a while back. I also had one bag of greens left in the freezer that I had blanched & frozen at the end of last summer that I wanted to use before the fresh spring greens begin arriving.
Blue & Greens Tart
This little individual-sized tart made a great side dish. I served it with the Pork Chops with Pomegranate Balsamic Sauce but I think with the blue cheese flavor it would really shine with a nice steak. Choose a good blue cheese when you are making this because it is the flavor that really comes through here, we used St. Pete's Select from Fairbault, MN.

Blue & Green Tart

1 sheet puff pastry
1/2 c frozen greens or spinach
2 - 3 T blue cheese, crumbled
1 egg, well beaten
salt & pepper
pinch of nutmeg
parmesan

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Roll the dough out a little to just about 1/8 inch. Cut out two 6-inch circles.

Thaw the greens & squeeze out as much water as possible. Chop a little if it isn't already. Mix the blue cheese and 2 tablespoons of the egg with the greens. Season with the salt, pepper & nutmeg.

Spoon half of the greens mixture into the middle of each pastry circle leaving a 1-inch edge all around. Fold the edge up over the filling, pleating as you go. Brush the dough with the remaining beaten egg. Grated a little parmesan over the top of each tart.

Bake for 20 minutes until puffed & golden brown.

2 servings

18 comments:

Lori said...

Mmm! I love this! The combo of the blue cheese and greens has to be so tasty. This would be an impressive party dish as well.

Stacey Snacks said...

Puff Pastry = Delicious.
Any filling will do.
Love the blue cheese and greens.

Christina Kim said...

Ooh, this look so delicious! I could eat it as a meal by itself.

lisaiscooking said...

What a great looking tart, and I'm getting lots of greens from my CSA right now!

Dewi said...

What a delicious tart Kat! Love the color too.
Cheers,
elra

Thistlemoon said...

A nice pungent cheese and greens is one of my favorite combinations! This looks so good!

Peter M said...

Ahhh, that's where you get the blue & green...I like it! As Jenn said,a robust bleu is a good foil to bitter greens.

Paige at The Spice House said...

Oh, I love blue cheese in things that aren't just salad dressing. I will definitely be making this as soon as spring greens start showing up in Chicago (assuming winter ever goes away!). I haven't tried your St. Pete's blue cheese, but I think the smoky Roaring Forties from Australia (I know, not even a little bit local) would be great with some of the sharper, more astringent greens like ramps or sorrel.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

That looks so great and would be a perfect match with just about any main dish or by itself with a nice summer salad - Hmmm I can taste it now!!

Kirby! said...

YUMMY!!!!!! This looks so delicious because it combines two of my favorite things: spinach and tarts. I have never really thought about combining spinach and blue cheese-- it looks like a really delicious idea!

Justin said...

that looks so easy -- and yummy

Maris said...

I love the idea of this! And the colors :)

grace said...

here we have another edition of "great minds think alike!!"... :)
this is wonderful, kat. i can get my spinach intake and enjoy some crispy puff pastry at the same time. :)

Lori said...

Lovely and tastey contained in flaky crust. YUM.

test it comm said...

Blue cheese and spinach baked in a flaky pastry sounds so good!

Sam said...

I love the blue cheese and greens combo, this sounds fantastic!

PG said...

Very nice. I actually JUST part a tart pan...should give this a try.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Mmmm - cheese, greens and pastry! Yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota