This month's Recipes to Rival challenge was brought to us by Temperance of High on the Hog & Shawnee of Delishes Delishes.
This was actually a pretty easy dish to make though we could never get ours to flambé. The best hint I can give it to have everything together & ready to add to the pan before you start cooking since it comes together quickly. We used a 10-oz beef tenderloin cut into 4 thin steaks to serve the two of us. The meat was cooked perfectly & came out very tender. The sauce was just wonderful.
Steak Diane Flambé
Frank Bordoni from Great Food Live
For the steaks
4x85g beef medallions
1 tsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground salt and pepper
For the sauce
1 tsp Butter, clarified
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Shallots, finely chopped
50g button mushrooms, finely sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
125ml double cream
1 tbsp Chives, snipped
1. Rub the medallions of beef with the mustard, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and when hot, add the clarified butter and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Add the shallots and mushrooms, and push to the centre of the pan. Arrange the medallions around the edge. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring and tossing the mushroom mixture as you go. If you prefer your steak well done, give it an extra minute or 2.
4. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Turn the steaks over and pour in the cream and chives. Tilt the pan slightly (away from you) and pour in the brandy at the far end. Now turn up the heat to high so that the brandy ignites. Swirl the sauce around in the pan and turn off the heat.
6. Put the medallions on 4 plates, pour over the sauce and serve.
Later today I'll share the recipe for the amazing onion & potato tartes tartin we made to go with it.
If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted.
© 2007-2009 Kathy Lewinski