Friday, August 15, 2008

Carrot Fritters

In my quest to find recipes to use up all the carrots we got from our CSA I found quite a few recipes for carrot fritters. It sounded like such a good idea to me. There are lots of variations of carrot fritters out there; some have you cook & purée the carrots, some just cook them first, some make the pancake sweet, while others add lots of spices. I decided to do just a really basic fritter with uncooked, grated carrot for my first try. I figured that would give us the starting point to change the recipe in the future if needed.
Carrot Fritters
Other than grating a few carrots, these were so simple to put together. The "dough" sticks together well making it easy to form the patties. I chose to pan fry mine on a griddle with just a little bit of olive oil, I didn't think we needed the extra greasiness of deep frying.
Carrot Fritters
(I maybe went a little too heavy on the olive oil)

Oh, did we like these. The texture was wonderful, a bit like a potato pancake or the corn cakes I've often gotten in Thai restaurants. I think the onion in important to the flavor of these otherwise they might have been a bit bland. They were a tasty side dish served alongside some good locally -made sausages & sautéed Yukina Savoy.

This is one of those recipes where I think its really about the technique. I can see some many other possibilities; sweet potato with curry seasoning, zucchini, sweet corn & onion or even better, corn & bacon (oh, be still my heart). I'll be making variations of this side dish a lot more in the future.
Carrot Fritters
Carrot Fritters

1 1/2 c grated carrot, grate this fairly thin
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 c finely chopped yellow onion
1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
pinch of pepper
1 egg

Mix everything together to form a thick paste like consistency. Form into 4 1/2-inch patties. Just coat the bottom of a non-stick skillet or griddle with a little olive oil. Heat over medium-high. When hot put the patties in the skillet. Allow to cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip. Press down lightly with the back of a spatula. Allow the second side to cook until golden brown, total cooking time about 5 minutes.

Makes 4 fritters

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat,

This recipe looks great. I can't wait to try it. I also just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. I discovered it this summer. Keep up the good work!

Shelby said...

they look yummy!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These carrot fritters look yummy! I think this will be a hit with the kids.

(Oh, thanks for the recipe for corn toasties. We love them! We linked to your corn toasties recipe from our site. Hope that's okay.)

Megan said...

YUM! Several months ago I had carrot fritters at a tapas restaurant in DC--they were my favorite thing on the menu. I am certainly going to give your version a try--delish!

Thanks for sharing!

Megan of bit of nutmeg

Unknown said...

I'm also a member of HVF CSA, and I make a variation of fritters a lot with any of the root veggies we get. I really like using parsnips in the fall to make these, and often make them with a combination of whatever root veggies I have around. I really enjoy your blog, and it gives me great ideas of things to do with the CSA!

Deborah said...

I'm beginning to think that any vegetable can be made into fritters! These sound great!

PG said...

Yum! I just made squash fritters, which I'll be posting in a few days. I'll have to remember to link to this post.

MrOrph said...

I've been deprived...never having fritters like this.

This has been added to the TO DO list!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

A little curry and mustard powder in these and mmm mmm mmm...

test it comm said...

Those corn fritters look good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota