Friday, August 29, 2008

Watermelon Salad

Yes, I am jumping on the watermelon salad bandwagon. How can I help it? I keep seeing these beautiful salads online & then I get a nice little watermelon from my CSA.
watermelon salad
I made my salad with what was on hand, olive oil from the pantry, goat cheese leftover from a tart & basil from the garden. I was a little worried this would be strange but let me tell you, we loved it! The tartness of the goat cheese & slight pepper flavor of the basil just balance the sweetness of the watermelon perfectly. I have another watermelon on the way & will be awful tempted to repeat this.

My salad was inspired by this one at Eating Out Loud. Yeah, mine is quite rustic compared to Allen's beautiful presentation.

9 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've made a version of this salad (Nigella Lawson's one, I think) using feta, black olives and mint. Everyone looked at me strangely when I took it to a bbq but there was not a bite left at the end! Who knew watermelon and salty cheese were so good together?

skoraq cooks said...

yum yum yum. I adore this salad.

Thistlemoon said...

I really really really need to make this salad! I have yet to try it!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Rustic is good in my book. I need to try this too!

Deborah said...

I've always wanted to try this, but have yet to. yours looks great!

billjac said...

Salting watermelon is a common Southern tradition and adding basil to melon is a common hoity-toity tradition so this salad makes perfect sense. How funky was the feta you used? I'd be tempted to play it safe and use a young mild feta for my first try.

grace said...

why not jump aboard? i always salt my watermelon--it doesn't taste right without it--so i can see how some cheese might be a complement. very interesting. :)

kat said...

billjac - I used goat cheese not feta on this. Its got such a great creaminess & tartness.

doodle girl said...

made this this week. it was so delicious. thanks for the recipe :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota