Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hickory Smoked Ribs with Corn & Bacon Fritters

One of the nice things about Matt working at home is that he can be working & slow smoking some fabulous pork ribs for our dinner at the same time.
Hickory Smoked Ribs
These ribs were so amazing! Juicy, tender & smoky. These ribs followed most of the steps for my Dad's Memphis Ribs with a few changes. Matt rubbed the ribs with adobo chile powder & some yellow mustard. He filled the smoker box with wet hickory chips & put it over direct heat. Once the chips started smoking the ribs went in the grill over indirect heat for about 1 1/2 hours. During that time Matt refilled the smoker box two more time making sure to keep the smoke going. After that first 1 1/2 hours he put the ribs in a tin foil pouch with half a beer. This time they went over direct heat on the grill for 1 hour. Next the ribs came out of the pouch & were brush with Wee Willy's Barbecue Sauce & cooked over direct heat for 1/2 hour more. Oh, man the smell of these cooking was so good.
Hickory Smoked Ribs with Corn & Bacon Fritters
In our book there is only one thing better than pork & that's more pork so I whipped up some Corn & Bacon Fritters. I used the same recipe as for the Carrot Fritters substituting cooked sweet corn I got at the Framer's Market for the carrots. I also added 5 sliced of bacon that had been chopped, cooked & drained on a paper towel. The flavor was that combination of salty & sweet that I love so much & the fritters had a nice crunch from the corn.
These didn't hold together quite as well as the carrot fritters because of the difference in texture . I think they actually could have used a little more batter so next time I may try adding some milk & a little more flour.
Hickory Smoked Ribs with Corn & Bacon Fritters
What a perfect summer meal!

10 comments:

Joe Horn said...

They look great. I just received my new smoker so I'm looking forward to doing some back ribs again soon.

Deborah Dowd said...

I love ribs, but those corn fritters look so delicious!!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I think I need ore hickory chips for my smoker...

Beth (jamandcream) said...

The corn fitters look amazing. I love working from home too so I can make dinner that little bit more special as I have more time to prepare things.

Giff said...

I don't have a smoker but recipes like this make me want one terribly!

grace said...

perfect, indeed! my adobo chile powder is always at the ready, and this would be an excellent use for it! and those fritters...good googa mooga. very nice. :)

kat said...

Giff - Our "smoker" is just a metal box with vents that we got at the hardware store for less than $10. It sits on the grill full of chips & creates the smoke. A much cheaper alternative than buying a whole smoker.

Deborah said...

Now, that's my kind of meal!!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

What a delicious meal! I love the corn fritters.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, those look delicious. Makes me want to get my smoker out and do some ribs, even though we have a foot of snow on the ground.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota