Thursday, August 28, 2008

What's in CSA box #9

What's in CSA box #8
Oh my, this is the box of summer's bounty!

Watermelon
- I'm thinking of trying to make a watermelon sorbet
Sweet Corn - This will get grilled up Saturday night for a bbq with friends
Green Peppers - I have no idea since I don't really like them. Ideas? I heard at the fair if you deep fry them they don't taste like peppers anymore.
Cucumbers - 4 giant ones & I still have one left from the last box. I'll do some refrigerator pickles.
Squash - One little squash that will either go in a stir-fry or pasta
Tomatoes - those two are salad bound
Radish Greens - Apparently these are really good sautéed up with some bacon, but then what isn't?
Salad Mix
Broccoli
Italia Peppers - I ended up loving these in stir-fry last week so this week we'll try sausages & peppers
Garlic
Raspberries - I think I'll do raspberry tarts
Japanese Eggplant - This will go in a stir-fry
Petite Green Beans - Some will get stir-fried but most just steamed
Tomatilla Salsa Kit - This contains tomatillas, a jalapeno, a small onion & cilantro. I love the fact the farm puts things like this together for us.
Zucchini - Maybe on a pizza this week.
Cipollini Onions - Matt wants some of these creamed like I did the leeks
Red Beets - To me these are best roasted with some garlic & olive oil.

I'll do a wrap up of what I did with boxes 8 & 9 together since I didn't have a week between the two like usual. The amount of vegetables here is really making me think that getting a box every other week is they way we should continue for two of us.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I have always wondered about these boxes. I think I might do this next year. I will have to look into it.

Roast the green peppers for a better taste. Can put in salsa. Or fried green peppers with potatoes is pretty smashing too!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Those eggplant are so pretty! I haven't seen them that colour before. That really is a fantastic box of produce to work with!

billjac said...

Melons are really the best fruits to sorbet. It's really easy and the flavors really pop. Just make a simple syrup with 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water and blend it with 3 cups of melon, a couple tablespoons of whatever citrus juice seems the best match, a couple tablespoons of whatever liquor seems the best match and a bit of herb or spice if you want to get fancy. Chill, churn and ripen and you're done.

I know you used this weeks melon for a salad. Save the next one for sorbet. I promise you won't regret it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota