Sunday, August 17, 2008

Rolled Jerk Pork

Every since Matt saw the Rolled Jerk Pork on Meatwave he's been wanting to make it for us.
Jerk Pork Roll
Now keep in mind I am a wimp when it comes to spicy things so he promised to make this a jerk that even I could handle. He used the recipe for Jerk Wet Rub from Mastering the Grill: The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking. The recipe called for up to 10 Scotch Bonnets! He knew that wasn't going to fly with me so he ended up using 3 jalapenos from our garden instead. We loved the way this wet rub tasted! Ite ended up being extremely flavorful & actually not hot at all (I actually said that it could have used a little more heat). I could really smell & taste the allspice & cinnamon in the rub which made me think of middle eastern cooking.  I wonder since it wasn't hot, could it still be called a jerk?
Jerk Pork Roll
Matt butterflied the pork loin, coated both sides with the paste, rolled it up & tied it together. Then he let it marinade in the fridge for about 4 hours before cooking it on the grill. The paste really kept the pork very moist.
Jerk Pork Roll
Matt felt the paste was a little too thin & seeped out too much during cooking. So, I've changed the recipe instructions to have you add the oil a little at a time until you reach the right consistency, much like making a pesto.

Jerk Wet Paste (the wimpy version)
(adapted from Mastering the Grill)

1 small onion, chopped
3 or more jalapenos (or hotter chiles if your not wimpy like me!)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
2 1/2 T fresh thyme leaves
2 1/2 T packed brown sugar
1 t ground allspice
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground coriander
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 T soy sauce
1 T fresh lime juice
1/2 T rum
2 T vegetable oil

Jerk Pork Roll
Put all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor. Process until a paste forms. With the processor still running slowly add the oil a little at a time until you reach the consistency of paste you desire.
Jerk Pork Roll
(this was the thinner consistency we got using all the oil)

Makes just over 1 cup

5 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Wow, rolled porky goodness! Looks superdelicious! I have to try this real soon. I've been craving jerked pork for a while but haven't had the occasion to do it. And of course, I am kinda lazy too. ;)

grace said...

what a photogenic slab o' pig! i'm the exact opposite of you though--the hotter, the better! that being said, the other ingredients in the paste make it sound absolutely phenomenal. :)

Deborah said...

10 scotch bonnets?? Wowzers! I love that it's rolled - I've never done that before!

Elle said...

Oh, it's gorgeous! And 10 Scotch Bonnets? My ears are steaming just thinking about it, hehe.

Anonymous said...

I wiuldn't call this wimpy at all. The presentation is just awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota