Friday, January 9, 2009

Bailey's Mocha Cupcakes

Awhile back Matt & I had been discussing ideas for cupcake flavors. We knew we wanted to try one with Bailey's in it but I never went out to buy a bottle just for cupcakes. Then while shopping for wine & such over the holidays Matt picked up a bottle so I knew the time had come to try these.
Mocha with Bailey's Cupcake
Matt likes his Bailey's on the rocks where I prefer it mixed into a little coffee or hot chocolate, you know a little something to ward off the winter chill. I decided to mix it with both espresso & chocolate for this cupcakes. This was a bit of an experiment since I used Bailey's instead of milk or yogurt. Luckily the experiment worked & these cupcakes came out beautifully moist with a wonderful flavor. The Bailey's flavor is what stands out the most with a hint of the espresso in the background.

Bailey's Mocha Cupcake

4 T unsalted butter
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
3 T water
1 t instant espresso (if you don't like espresso just leave this out of the recipe)
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 T Bailey's Irish Cream
1/2 c flour
1/8 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 6 muffin tins either with cupcake papers or by greasing & flouring them.

Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan. Whisk in the cocoa. Add the water & instant espresso & whisk to combine. Remove from the heat & stir in the sugar, eggs & Bailey's. Then stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt. The batter will seem very watery. Divide evenly between the 6 muffin tins.

Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack.

Bailey's Chocolate Buttercream

4 T unsalted butter, a room temp
2 t Bailey's Irish Cream
1/4 t vanilla
1/2 t unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c powdered sugar
pinch of salt

Beat the butter, Bailey's & vanilla until creamy. Beat in the sugar 1/4 cup at a time until combined, adding the cocoa powder with the first addition. Beat in the salt.

Frost cupcakes & sprinkle with instant espresso.

Makes 6 cupcakes

(Ok, I have to make a confession here. When I made these cupcakes I read my own writing wrong & put in two eggs instead of 2 T of egg. Matt really liked the way the texture of the cupcake turned out so I wrote it up here this way.  does create a very dense cupcake. You could easily just use one egg in this recipe., I think I will next time.)

15 comments:

LaFleur said...

I just love how your baking recipes are for an output of just a few servings. 6 servings are great for just my husband and I. Who really needs 24 cupcakes unless you are baking for a classroom full of kids? THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous comment, I like how this recipe makes just enough for a small family; my husband and I always have trouble finishing up a dozen cupcakes before they begin to go stale!

kat said...

Suzee & Sophie - Thanks for the comments. I size down almost all my baking recipes for two. I find I can try more things that way & we don't have leftovers forever

Anonymous said...

This looks great! Someone brought a similar cupcake - not the same, but similar - to our Christmas party, which has resulted in my having an unexpected bottle of Bailey's in the house. I'll have to try this!

Jen said...

What a great flavor combination... Bailey's is something I'd never really buy but would definitley use if it suddenly showed up in the house and especially in the winter.

Finla said...

I am with Mat, i love baileys on the rocks.
I do have a bottle which i opend up in the christma period.
Bookmarking this recipe.

Apples and Butter said...

Looks delicious. And you're right, it's never fun to buy a big bottle of booze just for a recipe, but I bet a lot of people have some Baileys laying around after the holidays!

Andrea said...

When I say that my fiance loves baileys, I mean he is completely obsessed and it's the one drink I can define him by. Like any normal person, he also loves cake, so this is going to be a HUGE hit. I can't wait!

grace said...

i'm not much of a drinker, but bailey's is something i always enjoy. great cupcakes, and tremendous frosting. :)

vanillasugarblog said...

I like a dense cupcake, so I might just try this with the 2 eggs.
I love to try new cupcake recipes.

Lori said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh my these would be to die for! I love Baileys (regular and mint)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh how decadent! Yum! I think the espresso must have done a good job at stopping the Baileys from being too cloying.

Kirby! said...

YUM!!!! I love Bailey's, especially when it's put into a dessert or poured over ice cream. These cupcakes look so delicious... great recipe!

Sharon said...

Bailey's and mocha is such a comforting flavor combo. Makes me think of warming up on cold mornings!

HiHo said...

Makes 24 Mini Cupcakes Perfectly!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota