Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper & Black Bean Soup

Last week we opened a jar of roasted red peppers to make Smoky Sausage & Rice Soup & a can of chipotle in adobo to make Shortcut Tacos al Pastor. So I knew when I was coming up with this weeks menu I wanted to make something that would use both of those things. We also had a ton to dried black beans on hand from our last CSA delivery. I decided these would make a fabulous soup together.
Roasted Red Pepper & Black Bean Soup
I wanted the roasted red pepper to be the star of the broth of this soup instead of making a a black bean soup with some red peppers in it. The chipotle in adobe added a fabulous flavor & scent to the soup though be careful it also adds a lot of heat. Using dried beans instead of canned means they didn't get all mushy in the soup & added a nice texture.

Roasted Red Pepper & Black Bean Soup

1 c dried black beans
1/2 T olive oil
1 c red onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 oz roasted red pepper, roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
1/2 - 1 chipotle pepper in adobe (more or less according to the heat you like)
1/2 t dried oregano
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
salt
2 c chicken broth
sour cream

Pick through the beans for any stones & place in a pot with a lid. Cover with boiling water about 1 inch above the beans. Let sit until twice in size, at least an hour or two.

In a soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion & garlic & cook until very tender. Stir in the peppers, oregano, parsley & a good pinch of salt. Cook or about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth. Using a blender or immersion blender process until smooth.

Stir in the soaked beans & bring to a boil. Cover & reduce heat. Simmer for about 1 hour or until beans are tender. Use a fork to smash some of the beans if you wish to thicken it a bit more.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.

2 main dish servings

21 comments:

Giff said...

if I was at a restaurant, you couldn't keep me from this dish. Ship me some?! :)

Deborah said...

I actually think I have some roasted red peppers in the fridge that need to be used!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks like another soup I want to make this winter.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I've been craving something black-beany lately. This looks fabulous!

Peter M said...

Kat, not only does this look comforting but it's healthy...red peppers and blacks - hell yeah.

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious, and the addition of chipotle must have been fantastic!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, Kat, I don't think I would have ever put these ingredients together like that! I love it!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Wow that looks good! Such a comforting-looking soup.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This will be perfect on a cold cozy night - Looks great!!

Anonymous said...

Definitely a winter soup - and looks awfully good to me right now as I just can't stop shivering today! Will have to try to give this one a go VERY soon. The chipolte in there intrigues me...

grace said...

one of the most valuable items in my kitchen is chipotle peppers in adobe sauce--i toss them in all kinds of stuff, willy-nilly. your soup looks perfect, kat. :)

Hayley said...

I love eating soups in this chilly weather. Thanks for sharing!

Lori said...

I pretty much love black bean anything. This recipe looks like a keeper. I have a ham bone in the freezer from my Mom and I think it will be adding some flavor to a black bean soup! Now I think I may have to add some red peppers.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Just found you through Tastespotting and the description of this soup made me drool! I just posted black bean soup this week too. Yours looks fantastic and I can't wait to try it!

Dewi said...

Mmmm, what happen if skip the blackbean? will it still be good?
Sounds tempting though.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

mmm, the chipotle must really add a zing to the soup - yummy!

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it out!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Some of my favorite ingredients: black beans, roasted red peppers and chipotles. I keep the roasted peppers and chipotles in my refrig and I'm never without black beans in the pantry. I've got to give this a try.
Sam

test it comm said...

This soup sounds good and I have a bunch of roasted red peppers in the freezer.

to2sassy said...

PERFECT! I bought a bag of Black beans a month ago and could not find the recipe I had planned on using them. These simple flavors sound wonderful!

Carrie said...

I tried this out earlier this week, and I can't even say how much I loved it! So many great flavors. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota