Saturday, January 17, 2009

Curried Lentil Soup

Not only did Matt pick last night's meal but he also cooked it. I had been busily working on a project all day in my little studio & when I came downstairs to suggest we make quesadillas I discovered this wonderful meal already on the stove.
Curried Lentil Soup
The original recipe called this a stew though we thought of it as more of the thick soup. Using a good curry powder is really important in this dish as it is the main flavor for the broth, which we really loved. We have a lot leftover for lunches & I'm betting it will thicken up a little more as the lentils absorb more of the broth. I'm also betting that this is a dish that will taste even better the next day.

As I was smelling this cooking all I could think of was I want golden raisins with that smell so I went ahead & added a handful to my bowl. I thought that little touch of sweetness was a perfect addition.

Curried Lentil Soup
Adapted from Real Food for Real People

2 T olive oil
2 carrots, peeled & finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T curry powder
5 c water
1 1/2 c dried lentils
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1.5 - 2 c tomato purée
8 oz frozen spinach (we actually used some mixed greens I froze this summer)
salt & pepper
golden raisins (optional)

In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery & onion. Sauté until just getting tender. Add the garlic & curry powder. Cook while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
Vegetable Quilt
Add 1 cup of the water & scrap the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add remaining water, lentils & bouillon. Place a cover on the pot leaving it slightly ajar & bring to a boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for 30 minutes stirring from time to time.
Curried Lentil Soup
Check to see if the lentils are done. When they are tender add the tomato & spinach. Simmer for about 10 more minutes. Salt & pepper as needed.

Sprinkle golden raisins on each serving is desired.

6 - 8 servings

13 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Lovely and warming. Your hubby sounds well trained!!!

Dewi said...

What a coincidence I was making lentil curry last night as well. Yours looks really delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Alicia Foodycat said...

That was nice of Matt! I can see exactly what you mean about the golden raisins - perfect!

Lori said...

This looks so great! I love lentils and I love curry so I can't go wrong with this one. Can't wait to make it!

grace said...

nicely done with the soup, matt, and super touch with the raisins, kat--you two make a terrific team. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my God that sounds incredible!

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful! YUM!

Lori said...

Talk about a warming soup, this looks so good. I have been wanting to make lentil soup for days! I must do it now.

Anonymous said...

Delicious soup. Though I think I enjoyed the flavour more before adding the tomatoes and the spinach. Next time I will skip those and add some quartered baby potatoes instead.

Anonymous said...

This was delicious! Mine came out as a stew. I used vegan “Not Chick’n” bullion cubes. I also added zucchini and some cayenne pepper. Next time I will add more liquid and add MORE spice!

Anonymous said...

Foul!! Had to throw it our. I love lentils and curry, but this is atrocious

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Your lentil soup is delicious! I have made it 7 times this winter! Yummy!

joan said...

Hello, just wanted you to know that I have been making your recipe for the last I think 3 years. It is the best ever, and I modified it a bit, by adding chick peas and indian marsala spice to it. I make it once a week, and my whole family loves this. thankyou J

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota