Saturday, January 24, 2009

Penne with Skillet-Roasted Root Vegetables & CSA box #19

When I saw this recipe from Bon Appetit on Serious Eats I thought what a great way to use some of those root vegetables I've been getting from the Farm.
Penne with Skillet-Roasted Root Vegetables
This was a wonderful meal. I was so surprised at the great sweet, caramelized flavor the vegetables got cooking on the stove instead of the oven (I think the trick was to chop them relatively small). The red beets gave the whole thing a slightly reddish hue but I think it actually looked pretty.

I did make some adaptations to the original recipe. I changed up the vegetable mix, they used golden beets, sweet potato & parsnips, I think you could use an root vegetables you have on hand. The recipe called for using the beet green if you have them. Since I cut the greens off the beets to store them (they keep longer this way) I didn't have any but what I did have was kale. Kale is not as tender as beet greens so I added it while the vegetables cooked in the broth to soften. I also added white wine to the recipe because I thought it would add a nice flavor when used to deglaze the pan. This is one I'll definitely make again!

Penne with Skillet-Roasted Root Vegetables
adapted from Bon Appetite Jan '09

1 T olive oil
1 c red onions, roughly chopped
3 c mixed root vegetables, chopped (we used beets, turnips & parsnips)
1 T fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 c white wine
3/4 c chicken broth + more if needed
1 c kale leaves, stems removed, ripped into pieces
8 oz penne pasta
1 T butter
3/4 c grated parmesan

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions & root vegetables. Cook for about 9 minutes until the vegetables start to brown & soften, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rosemary & cook for another minute. Pour in the white wine & scrap off any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken broth & kale. Cover & turn heat to medium. Let cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are very tender.

Meanwhile, cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain. Return the pasta to the pot & stir in the butter & most of the cheese. Stir in the vegetables. If the pasta seems to dry add a little more chicken broth.

Serve with remaining cheese sprinkled over the top.

2 large servings

This week was our last CSA box for the year. Lots more wonderful root vegetables that will store for at least a couple weeks. We also got some beautiful dried peppers.
What's in CSA box #19
It'll be strange not getting a box of vegetables every two weeks anymore. We've gotten so used to having that bounty in our house. We will be signing up for next season with Harmony Valley Farm. We've so enjoyed the variety we received from them this year & the number of new things we've been able to try. I think a few of my readers are also members of HVF so, if you are please leave a comment I'd love to know.

16 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat add some good sausage to this and you have that autumn pasta I made in the fall!
I am craving it!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I would never have considered using root veg with pasta - but this does look really good. Thanks for the idea

Anonymous said...

I am also a member of HVF and started reading your blog after it was featured in the HVF newsletter. We too love their variety (we tried so many vegetables for the first time this year). We tried to take on a full share ourselves this year (the vegetables ended up ruling our lives) and are switching to sharing a full share next year. Great blog, by the way. You've influenced me to join the Cooking MN meetup and buy at least a couple of cookbooks. And of course, since we get the same CSA, your recipes have been very relevant to my pantry!

Greta said...

LOVE HVF! Two year member - and I really enjoy your blog - great ideas on using the bounty. I've never done the extended season as I get root veggie burnout, but I am getting wistful/jealous seeing the picture you posted! Dried peppers? Man! I just signed up for every other week - plus the Cuatro Queso cheese sampler. Thanks for a great blog and lovely photography!

Lori said...

Can't wait to see what you do with those peppers. The pictures of your box are always so pretty. It just makes you want to eat healthy, fresh foods.

Anonymous said...

We too are very happy members of HVF and also saw your blog featured in the newletter. Thanks so much for all the great recipes!

grace said...

i declare, this csa business provides you with some stellar stuff! although there's something about penne that bugs me, your pasta looks undeniably scrumptious.

Anonymous said...

That dish looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

We are also happy members of HVF CSA- we get the full veggie share (with extended season), the full fruit share and the full cheese share- wow! It's a lot of food to work into our menu plans, but I love knowing that it's all fresh and local! I also find I'm "forced" into using a wider variety of veggies than I might normally use. I am struggling with the turnips- do you find them a little bitter? Maybe I'm not using them correctly. They are stacking up in my fridge, and I really need some ideas so that I don't waste them!

Thanks for your great blog- as others have mentioned, it really is inspirational!
-Julie

Rebecca said...

I just finished my second year with an HVF subscription. This year I shared a weekly box with three other people, which worked out great. I have loved reading your recipes and hope that you'll continue to blog your veggie box recipes in the future!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a whole lot of kind of root veggies, smart choice to make a simple meal out of it, looks delish :)

Peter M said...

Love the blush colour and roasted veggies always taste great!

Lori said...

I love the colors in these pictures. They just pop!

I would seriously like to dig into that pasta. hmmmmm

Dragon said...

Who wouldn't eat their veggies if they looked this amazing!

Unknown said...

This was my first year as a CSA member and I've loved my experience with HVF. Your blog has definitely added to the experience. Your recipes are so creative and relevant. You definitely inspire me to be more creative with my meals! (And it's helped to work with great fresh veggies!) I'm already looking forward to May....

Unknown said...

This will be my second year with HVA and I can't wait. Your recipe ideas always inspire me and photos are beautiful. I share my box and love having "box dinners" with friends. Each Thursday feels like a Christmas morning. Only a month and the ramps will be here!
Joy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota