Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pork Tenderloin with Mostarda Di Frutta

The other day we were watching an episode of Diary of a Foodie where they were preparing Smoked Pork Loin. The pork looked really great but I was really intrigued by the Italian condiment, Mostarda Di Frutta, that was made to serve with it. Since we're luck to hit 0 degrees these days we aren't smoking any pork on the grill but I thought the mostarda would work just has well with a piece of pork roasted in the oven.
Pork Tenderloin with Mostarda Di Frutta
We had a pork tenderloin in the freezer so we went with that as our cut of meat. This is a favorite cut of pork for us because it roasted up so quickly & is really versatile. The original recipe for the mostarda called for a mixture of 5 dried fruits; raisins, peaches, figs, mangos & apricots. Since I had golden raisins, cherries & apricots on hand that was the mixture we went with. Let me tell you that was a good choice, those Michigan sour cherries were the perfect foil for that strong mustard flavor.

This dish is going in the make-it-again file for sure! Not only does it taste wonderful but it looks fabulous too. Matt is really interested in trying the mostarda this summer with grilled pork & chicken.

Roast Pork Tenderloin with Mostardo Di Frutta
adapted from Gourmet Magazine June '08

1 lb pork tenderloin
salt & pepper
1 c + 2 T water
6 T dry mustard
1/4 c white vinegar
2 T packed brown sugar
1/2 T fresh ginger, minced & peeled
1 c dried fruit (our mix was apricots, golden raisins & cherries)

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Season the pork all over with salt & pepper. Place in a roasting pan & roast for about 30 minutes for medium.

While the pork is cooking, whisk the dry mustard into the water. In a small saucepan bring the vinegar, sugar & ginger to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat to simmer & let reduce a little, about 6 minutes. Chop any of the fruit that is rather large, we only chopped the apricots. Stir in the mustard water & the fruit. Bring to a simmer & let thicken, about 10 minutes. If the sauce gets thick thin it out with a little water.

When the pork is cooked, remove from the oven & let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into slices & serve with the Mostarda.

3 Servings

We served this with a side of rice & the mustarda was great mixed in with the rice as well. Our other side was sautéed shallots & kale. A lovely Monday night meal!

11 comments:

Peter M said...

I want to eat this now...the meat is so moist, the mostarda sounds wonderful and fruits and mustard go well with pork.

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I always do a honey-mustard glaze on my tenderloins, but I'm going to have to try this. Another great idea!

Rachel said...

Mostarda di Frutti sounds just lovely, like a bold, mustardy chutney. Bookmarked this one!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I agree this looks fabulous.

Dewi said...

Love the vibrant color of that kale. It's one of my favorite vegetable after Swiss chard. Pork looks so moist and mouth watering.
Cheers,
Elra

grace said...

that condiment sounds super enticing, and i'm sure it's perfect with pork. thanks for the introduction (and i hope it warms up soon for you and me both...). :)

Lori said...

Man that mustarda sounds amazingly delicious. I gotta have it. Oh yeah, I will be amking that real soon.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Very intrigued by the mostarda. It looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, the ginger, dried fruit, mustard, this sounds and looks terrific!! Pictures are mouthwatering!! Thanks for sharing!

giz said...

Don't ask me why - I've never had good luck with pork tenderloin. This recipe is a real motivation for me to give it one more try. If I don't succeed I'll just write myself as "not port tenderloin friendly"

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gorgeous! I have never made mostarda before, but I have liked it when I've tried it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota