Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekly Menu 1/26 - 1/31/09

Another arctic blast blew through this weekend so what did we decide to do? We try out the new ice cream maker.
Homemade Gelato
We got the KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Christmas & it worked like a dream. For this first go I went with a very basic vanilla gelato recipe (just cream, milk, sugar & vanilla) that I found in The Ice Cream Bible.
Homemade Gelato
It was heavenly. Now I can't wait to try other flavors & add-ins.

On to Menu Planning Monday....

Black Bean & Squash Chili - inspired by the one at Lori's Lipsmaking Goodness

Chicken & Potato Hotdish - I forgot how much I love hotdish until I made one last week. This will be my poultry spin on hotdish

Shrimp & Beet Pasta - I just have a feeling that the flavor of roasted beets & shrimp will go together nicely, Matt is dubious.

Steak Sandwiches with Horseradish Root Vegetable Mash - I've got all this fresh horseradish & root vegetables so this seems like a perfect us.

Roast Pheasant with Wild Rice - This was the amazing dinner my sister's mother-in-law served us on Christmas. We were lucky & my brother gave us some pheasant he shot so we can try making it ourselves.

Pork Chops with Celeriac Gratin - This meal is again about the side dish & finding a good uses for celeriac.

I haven't figured out my cupcake flavor for the week yet so you'll have to wait until Friday to find out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment. We made Guinness ice cream last week. And have made any number of ice creams over the 4 years we've had it. Once you've made homemade ice cream, everybody else's just isn't as good.

Maris said...

Black bean and squash chili sounds out of this world!

I just got a Kitchen Aid and I can't wait to start collecting attachments. Ice cream and pasta will probably be the first 2 :)

Sara said...

We have the KA ice cream attachment, too. Absolutely love it! The celeraic gratin sounds like it will be good. I'm also interested in the horseradish veggie mash... I've never tried fresh horseradish.

Anonymous said...

You have to share some shots of that pheasant dish. Sounds amazing!

billjac said...

Have you considered a savory celeriac sherbet?

Dewi said...

Delicious menu for sure. Shrimp & Beet Pasta sounds interesting. Chicken & Potato Hotdish, ah..ha..., you can send this to Potato Ho Down, it sounds perfect for such event.
Cheers,
Elra

Lori said...

Let me tell you about ice cream. If I could only have one thing for the rest of my life, it would be ice cream. It is my absolute downfall. And quite ironically it can sit in the house for the kids and I wont touch it.

But I d have to say if a bowl of your ice cream here was right before me, I am afraid I would jump right in.

giz said...

I'm loving that attachment. Why didn't I just get the attachment instead of buying a whole ice cream maker that eats up so much kitchen cupboard space. I probably should have called you first.

Tara said...

Oh, hotdish, how I miss you! In Arizona, we only have casseroles! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota