Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Smoky Sausage & Rice Soup

This soup came about because we had half of a smoked sausage link leftover from another meal & Matt suggested a try making a sausage & rice soup.
Smoky Sausage & Rice Soup
I wanted to play on the smoky flavor of the sausage so decided my main spice would be smoked paprika. Roasted red peppers added another layer of flavor. And finally a touch of cayenne for a pleasant bit of heat. For sometime I just made up as I went along I was really happy with this finished soup. The flavors just seemed to come together perfectly & it had enough body to be a very satisfying main course with just a bit of crusty bread.

Smoky Sausage & Rice Soup

1 T olive oil
1 med, yellow onion, peeled & diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 lb smoked sausage link, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/4 t dried marjoram
pinch cayenne
salt & pepper
3 or 4 strips roasted red pepper, roughly chopped
1 14 oz can whole tomatoes, undrained
2 c chicken or vegetable broth
1/3 c white rice (med or long grain, we used jasmine)

In a medium soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion & celery & cook until the onion is translucent. Add the sausage & allow to brown slightly. Stir in the paprika, marjoram, cayenne and a little salt & pepper. Next add the peppers & tomatoes including the liquid from the tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes with your spoon or squeeze in your hands are adding. Add the broth & bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover & reduce the heat to simmer. Let simmer until the rice is cooked about 30 minutes. Check seasoning & add salt, pepper & cayenne as needed.

Makes 3 - 4 servings



11 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

This soup looks very soothing right now. I have a cold, can you fedex me some please?

Peter M said...

Three cheers for smoked paprika...this soup rocks!

Jen said...

Lately I seem to want to make everything I see on your blog. I just discovered some sausage in the freezer and was wondering what I should do with it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
grace said...

i love how you're just able to toss something so fabulous together. bravo.

Lori said...

Looks very inviting Kat.

MrOrph said...

Definitely feeling this soup. I'm liking the smoked paprika and cayenne. These are some of my favorite things!

Deborah said...

This sounds amazing. Definitely one that will warm you up!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Lovely! Rice in soups is so comforting.

Celia said...

Your recipes are so good! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I used homemade chicken broth from smoked chicken and that really gave it a good Smokey taste I just had regular paprika but the Smoky Taste of the homemade broth was amazing with all the other yummy ingredients. thank you. It was a cold day here and I needed your soup.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota