Friday, October 10, 2008

Apple Bread Pudding

Day 5 in my week of apple recipes...

I made these sweet bread puddings as a surprise dessert for Matt the other night. This was my first time making a sweet bread pudding & I'm not sure why I waited so long. These puddings bake up thick with custard and are oh so rich. They puff up as they cook making for a wonderful presentation.
Apple Bread Pudding
I used ciabatta bread in this but I think any white or light wheat bread would work.

Apple Bread Pudding

3 - 4 c 1/2-inch bread cubes (depends on the size of your ramekins)
2 apples, peeled, cored & diced
2 eggs
1/4 c sugar
2 T packed brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
salt
1 1/4 c milk

Mix the bread cubes & diced apples together. Place in four individual ramekins.

Beat the eggs. Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg & a pinch of salt. Stir in milk.

Pour the egg mixture evenly over the four ramekins. Use a spoon to press the bread down into the mixture to soak it in. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Sprinkle a little cinnamon & sugar on the top of each ramekin. Place the ramekins in a water bath & bake for 60 minutes until they are golden brown & the custard has set.

Serves 4

Day 1 - Apple Waffles
Day 2 - Ginger Peach Applesauce
Day 3 - Baked Apples
Day 4 - Apple Turnovers

18 comments:

Mom24 said...

Mmmmm. I'm thinking Challah, or cinnamon bread. Thanks for another great apple recipe.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I LOVE SWEET BREAD PUDDINGS!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love this. I also like the fact that there is no butter in it.

Lori said...

Hi! Just started reading your blog this week. Love it!

I grew up with sweet bread puddings and they are one of my favorites. I haven't had a variety with apple in it though. This sounds great.

kat said...

mom24 - Cinnamon bread would be awesome in this.

lori - welcome, glad your enjoying the blog!

Maggie said...

This looks so tasty! What size ramekin did you use?

kat said...

Maggie - The ramekins I used are 1 & 1/2 cup. These puddings were so rich though that next time I'd use a smaller ramekin, maybe 1 cup for each serving.

Anonymous said...

Kat-This sounds delicious and seems like the perfect way to use all the great apples at the farmers' market (and extra homemade bread when it cools off enough to start baking again0.

Thanks for the idea.

Deborah said...

My husband loves bread pudding, so I should make this for him!

Jen said...

I love bread pudding and I would never have thought about adding apple to it.

Anonymous said...

All of your apple recipes look so good!

Stacey Snacks said...

ahhh, milk, bread and eggs.
Add whatever you want!
I am still loving your savory bread puddings........

Giff said...

that looks great! and no raisins! (yes, I am anti-raisin)

Peter M said...

Now wouldn't this be a nice dessert to present this fall? Off to get apples.

grace said...

who needs raisins? not me. this is magnificent and magical, which is saying a lot for me--i've never been impressed by bread puddings. bravo. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm liking all your apple posts.. Keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

I made something really similar to this. It's an apple cornbread pudding and it's really easy b/c you use already made cornbread and apple cider. I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks.

Kathy - My Online Meals said...

My kids will love this. Every time they see me busy with my ramekins they know I am making something special. They love apple treats.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota