Sunday, October 12, 2008

Apples Foster

Day 7 in my week of apple recipes...

This simple dessert is a take on the classic Bananas Foster. I figured the flavors of brown sugar, cinnamon & rum would go together with apples just as well as bananas. And really isn't it fun to play with fire...
IMG_7822

Apples Foster

1 apple, peeled, cored & sliced thin
1 T salted butter
1/8 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t brown sugar
pinch of nutmeg
2 T rum

Melt the butter over medium low heat in a skillet. Add the apple slices & cook on low for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the apples are soft & just starting to color. Sprinkle the cinnamon, sugar & nutmeg over the apples & stir. Carefully pour in the rum (be especially carefully pouring liquor in a pan on a gas stove). Once the rum is hot set it one fire, use a lighter or torch with a long handle to keep from burning yourself. Turn off the stove & allow the rum to burn itself out. Pour over vanilla ice cream.

Serves 2
IMG_7825
(excuse the messy bowl but this dish melts fast so you have to be quick with the photo!)

We hope you enjoyed our week of apple recipes as much as we liked making them. We actually ended up heading back to the an orchard yesterday to pick up another peck!

Day 1 - Apple Waffles
Day 2 - Ginger Peach Applesauce
Day 3 - Baked Apples
Day 4 - Apple Turnovers
Day 5 - Apple Bread Pudding

8 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love the banana version (I didn't know it was called bananas foster) so I think I would love the apples! The flambe photo is brilliant.

Stacey Snacks said...

Kat,
That flame throwing photo is fabulous!

Leslie said...

Love it..if I tried that I would catch my whole house on fire!!
Thanks for wishing me a happy 100th post!

grace said...

awesome picture, awesome idea for apples! forget bananas foster--this is more to my liking for sure. :)

Lori said...

Hey piro girl, that looks amazing. How brave of you to play with the banana foster idea. I havent had the courage yet to do this and here you are playing around. Thinking outside the box I tell you. Excellent!

Deborah said...

I love bananas foster, but never would have thought to try it with apples! Delicious!

giz said...

This combo with some ice cream would be out of this world. I agree - great flame shot - well done.

Kathy - My Online Meals said...

The banana version is a tried and tested recipe - even brilliant now that it involves apples. Apples and cinnamon are great together - you agree ladies?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota