Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekly Menu 10/12 - 10/17/08 & Apple Galettes

Ok, I know my week of apple recipes is over but I couldn't resist sharing one more with you (I still have a peck of apples to play with). This Apple Galette was our Sunday night dessert. Warm cinnamony apples & a flaky crust...yum!
Apple Galette
Apple Galette

Crust

2/3 c all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 t sugar
1/4 c cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 - 4 t cold water

Filling

1 large apple, peeled, cored & sliced into 1/4-inch sliced
6 t sugar
3 t flour
1/2 t lemon juice
1/8 t cinnamon
pinch of salt

1 T butter, melted

In a small bowl mix the flour, salt & sugar together. Add the butter & use your fingers to rub it into the flour until a coarse meal is formed. Add the cold water 1 teaspoon at a time until the dough forms into clumps. 

Make the dough into two balls & then flatten them into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap & let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 days. (If you let it chill longer than 30 minutes let it sit at room temp for about 15 minutes before rolling out.)

In another small bowl mix the apple slices, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon & salt. Let sit for about 15 minutes so the apples can soften a bit.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pad.

In a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to two 6-inch circles, about 1/8-inch thick (I roll it right out on my silicone pad so I don't have to move the finished galettes.) Divide the apples between the two dough circles leaving about 1-inch around the edges. Fold the edges up over the apples pleating as you go.  Brush the dough with the melted butter. Then pour the remaining butter over the apple filling.

Bake for 15 minutes until crusts are just beginning to color. Turn the oven down to 375 F & bake another 25 minutes, until apples are soft & crust is golden brown. Allow to cool a bit before eating.

Makes 2 individual galettes.

On to Menu Planning Monday...

A busy week for us...Wednesday night we're going out to The Corner Table to celebrate our two year wedding anniversary. Thursday we have a happy hour with Cookin' Minnesota at Bulldog N.E., now that place has some awesome burgers. Friday night we head off to Austin, TX for Maker Faire & some good BBQ!

Curried Cauliflower with Chickpeas & Tomato - from Tyler Florence

Autumn Pasta with Sausage & Butternut Squash - from Stacey Snacks

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Sauce - I'll probably use this on a pizza

Butternut Squash Risotto - After seeing all the Barefoot Bloggers post about this I need to make some

Honey Soy Stir-Fry - A really simple stir fry but so tasty

10 comments:

HungryinSW said...

Let me know how things are at the Bulldog. I've heard it's fallen off a bit with changes in the kitchen, but you never know for sure unless you go there yourself. I always appreciate a good tip! Have fun in Texas!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

The apple galette sounds scrumptious! Thank you for sharing the recipe! :D

Have a great MPM!
Sherry

Michelle M. said...

That looks and sounds delicious! I definitely need to try that out. Thanks!

Deborah said...

Who cares if apple week is over - keep them coming!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Happy anniversary!

I think you should go for a month of apple recipes - I have been loving these!

Peter M said...

Now aren't you the apple of my eyes...it's nice when the ice cream is half the dessert!

Lori said...

I love apples, keep em coming!

And I too have that butternut risotto on my recipe menu for some time this week. It looks so good doesnt it?

Stacey Snacks said...

Have a wonderful anniversary dinner!

Leslie said...

oohhhh ahhhhh.I love apple galette.
Happy Anniversary!

grace said...

two years, eh? congrats, and have a glorious celebration.

and just so you know, i'll gladly welcome each and every apple recipe you supply. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota