Saturday, October 4, 2008

Indian Butter Chicken

Last week when I made Chicken Curry, Matt mentioned that he'd really like to have Butter Chicken. So being the good wife I researched some recipes to make it for him this week. I found this recipe on Allrecipes that sounded like all the right flavors to me.
Indian Butter Chicken
We made a few changes to the recipe such as adding tomato paste, fresh tomatoes & more onion. We also substituted garlic & ginger for garlic ginger paste. I think this dish came out wonderfully, it was so much like butter chicken sauce we like in a jar. Matt really liked it too though said he'd still like to find one exactly like the serve at Amber India in the Bay Area.

I served this with some cauliflower that was coated in a little olive oil & dusted in salt & a little cumin. Then I roasted it at 400 F until it was golden brown. It gets a great nutty, smokey flavor. It was so good mixed right into the butter chicken.

Indian Butter Chicken

1 T vegetable oil
1/4 c onion, chopped
2 T butter
2 t lemon juice
1 1/2 t garlic, crushed to a paste
1 1/2 t fresh ginger, crushed to a paste
1 t garam masala
1 t chili powder
1 t cumin
1 bay leaf
2 tomatoes, blanch to remove skins, seed & chop
1 T tomato paste
1/4 c plain yogurt
1 c half & half
1/4 t cayenne pepper
salt
pepper

1 T vegetable oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
1 small onion, chopped into large pieces
1 t garam masala
pinch cayenne pepper

1 T cornstarch
1/4 c water

Heat 1 T of oil in a large soup pan over medium-high heat. Add the 1/4 c onion & sauté until translucent. Add the butter, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, 1 t garam masala, chili powder, cumin & bay leaf & cook for about a minute. Add the tomatoes & tomato paste & cook for another couple of minutes. Add the yogurt & half & half. Reduce the heat to low & simmer for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile heat the second 1 T of oil in a skillet. Add the chicken, onion, garam masala & cayenne. Cook until the chicken is cooked through. Then add to the sauce.

Mix the cornstarch & water together. Stir this into the sauce & let it cook for another 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.

Serve over rice.

Serves 4

10 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

Me want some cauliflower!!!!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks tasty! I usually prefer quite hot curries but I have a soft spot for butter chicken.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

For my final in culinary school, I attempted to make Indian butter chicken. I say attempted, because it was a disaster. I thought the test was going to be indicative of my career.

I had to make ghee, and I burned it twice. I had to fab my own chicken breasts and I butchered them all to hell. When all was said and done, the chicken ended up being raw on the inside. I don't know how I didn't try or yell out in frustration. I just shrugged my shoulders, cleaned up, and went home. It was all I could do.

I think I'll try the cauliflower soon. I need some new veg ideas in my life.

Lori said...

This looks very comforting. I have been wanting to do some "gobi" dish. Now that tomatoes are fazing out and cauliflower is really starting to come in.

Peter M said...

Kat, this is one of fave dishes and I'm making it this week, especially after seeing this.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Yum, butter chicken is one of my favourites. This is being bookmarked

grace said...

that looks like a particularly fantastic meal. i'm on a cauliflower kick right now, so i'm mostly enamored with that. :)

Deborah said...

You are a great wife! Now only if you could get my husband to like Indian food...

Megan said...

I made this tonight. It was so amazing. Seriously. It was like the sum was better than the parts. I let mine cook for about 1 hour on low, because my hubby was cutting the grass and it took him forever, and it was one of the BEST dishes I have made in a LONG time. YUM. I served it with a simple spinach.
THANK YOU.

Megan of Bit of Nutmeg

Unknown said...

I immediately recognized your recipe as the one from Allrecipes - it is the one I've used since finding it there in 2006. My family has enjoyed it very much. My mom actually preferred it to what we got at a local Indian restaurant recently. I think that she just thought this version was "it" and compared anything else to it, liking this best.

I've bookmarked your blog and now I'm gonna go look around for other goodies. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota