Friday, October 17, 2008

Pomegranate Applesauce

We've finished our first batch of applesauce already so it was time to head to the orchard to get more apples & make another batch.
#287 - pomegranate applesauce
This time I decided to flavor it with pomegranate juice since I had 1/2 a bottle of it in the fridge. Plus isn't pomegranate really good for you? Since the juice already has quite a bit of sugars in it we added less than we did in the Ginger Peach Applesauce. The juice really makes this sauce a pretty pink color & gives the applesauce I nice little tang.
Applesauce
(look at the difference in color from the Ginger Peach version)

Pomegranate Apple Sauce

3 lbs apples (we used Haralson), peeled, cored & sliced
1 c pomegranate juice
1/4 c sugar

In a large soup pot or dutch oven melt the sugar in the pomegranate juice over medium-low heat. Add the apples & cover. Allow to cook at a low temperature until the apples break down, 20 - 40 minutes. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the apples from time to time throughout the cooking. Cooking time will vary based on how smooth you want your applesauce.
IMG_7931
Matt likes it on oatmeal for breakfast.

9 comments:

Deborah said...

that is so pretty!! I was just thinking about making some applesauce this weekend...

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love pomegranite - this sounds really good

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

MMmmm. I love your applesauce makin' skills! And happy anniversary to you and Matt.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I love the color too. Maybe I'll run out and raid that apple tree I've been threatening to and make some of this tomorrow.

grace said...

what a lovely combination of flavors and colors--this would really dress up a lot of foods. excellent.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Adding that pomegranate is such a great idea!

giz said...

Adding that extra bit of colour and flavour is a great idea. I love MacIntosh apples for applesauce.

Lori said...

I use MacIntosh too. They melt down so easily. I love this idea with the pomegranate. Okay I will say it again. You have great ideas Kat.

Anonymous said...

Nice.. Healthy healthy stuff. I hate dissecting pomegranates so I'll pick up the juice as you suggest in the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota