Thursday, October 9, 2008

Easy As Pie Apple Turnovers

Day 4 in my week of apple recipes...

I love apple turnovers with their flaky, buttery crusts & soft apple center. Using puff pastry sheets from the store & applesauce makes this version come together so quickly, they make for an easy weeknight treat. I'm embarrassed to say we both ate two of these last night they were so good. Use a thick chunky applesauce for the best results, our homemade sauce from earlier this week worked perfectly.
Apple Turnovers
Apple Turnovers

One sheet of puff pastry dough, thawed
4 heaping T of applesauce
1 egg, beaten
sugar

Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pad.

On a lightly floured surface lay out the puff pastry sheet. Roll it out until it is 10" x 10" (the sheets I buy where already that size). Cut the square into four 5-inch squares. Place a heaping tablespoon of applesauce in the middle of each square.
Apple Turnovers
Brush a little beaten egg on the edged of the squares. Fold the squares over to form a triangle. Pinch the edges together & fold them over just a little bit to keep the applesauce in. Place the turnovers on your prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar. Using a sharp knife cut slits into the top of each turnover. Place the turnovers in the fridge for a few minutes to firm them up.

Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 F & bake another 10 - 15 minutes until the turnovers are golden brown.
Apple Turnovers
Allow to cool before serving. These are good warm & at room temperature.

Makes 4 turnovers

Day 1 - Apple Waffles
Day 2 - Ginger Peach Applesauce
Day 3 - Baked Apples

13 comments:

Mom24 said...

Do you think you could do these with an apple pie filling with finely diced apples? I'm not sure I would like the texture of the applesauce. Thanks.

kat said...

Mom24 - I'm sure you could. I think that would be the perfect substitute.

Deborah said...

I'm ashamed to say the only apple turnovers I've ever had were from Wendy's. But these look SO much better!

HungryinSW said...

These look great, and I think even I would struggle to mess them up. My folks get back from Europe early next week, this will be a nice welcome home treat!

grace said...

i'll take mine piping hot with a huge chunk of melty vanilla ice cream on top. fantastic. :)
and god bless the creator of frozen puff pastry. :)

DocChuck said...

Those look seriously delicious!

My wife is a visiting nurse and often bakes goodies for the shut-ins she tends to.

These look perfect for them. And ME, too!

THANKS!

~~Chuck

Thistlemoon said...

They look beautiful!

Leslie said...

Oh my..these look so good. And soooooooooo easy to make!

Nina Timm said...

You have just proven once again that cooking is dead easy and everyone can do it!!!!! The only thing missing in the las t photo is a steaming cup of coffee..

Anonymous said...

Looks so nice and flaky. So convenient to make, too, but I'll probably go with the homemade apple sauce.

Lori Lynn said...

Wow! Couldn't be easier, my kinda baking! Great idea.

Anonymous said...

Easy and Yummy. How fantastic. Thanks.

Kathy - My Online Meals said...

Quick and easy! I am grabbing this recipe and making this on Easter Sunday. I will probably try other fruit fillings, maybe strawberry and rhubarb. Yumm!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota