Thursday, October 9, 2008

Creamy Turnip Soup

We have a split decision on this soup...
Creamy Turnip Soup
I thought it was surprisingly good. I was a bit afraid it would be a little too, well turnipy but I wanted to try something new with the turnips from our CSA box. The flavors of the onion, garlic & seasonings, along with the caramelizing of the turnips, really mellows the whole thing to create a creamy, comforting soup. I liked the crispy fried onions on top & the flavor they added.

Matt, on the other hand, did not like this soup. He thought it was bland & blah. He really disliked the onions on top.

I do have two complaints with this recipe, portion size & cooking time. The recipe said it made 8 servings so I made 1/3 of it for two of us. It really wasn't an entrée sized portion but more of an appetizer size. So I would say if you were making this for an entrée the recipe probably really only serves 4. As for the cooking time, it took much longer for the vegetables to brown & for the turnips to soften than the recipe called for.

Creamy Turnip with Paprika Soup
(from Allrecipes)

2 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb turnips, peeled & cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large onion, diced large
1 T butter
pinch of sugar
2 garlic cloves, sliced thick
2 t paprika
1 t dried thyme
1/8 t cayenne pepper
2 c chicken broth
1 1/2 c half & half
salt
pepper

1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 onion, thinly sliced (the original recipe called for shallots but I didn't have any)

In a soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the turnips & onions cooking until they just start to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and add butter, sugar & garlic. Cook until the turnips & onions are a caramel color. Add the paprika, thyme & cayenne cook until fragrant, just about a minute. Add the chicken broth & bring to a simmer. Partially cover & let simmer until the turnips are soft, 10 - 20 minutes.

Using either an immersion blender, blender or food processor purée the soup until smooth. Add the half & half. Add salt & pepper as needed & heat through.

Fry the sliced onions in the butter & olive oil until crispy. Sprinkle on each serving of soup.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I still had the CSA turnips sitting around, so I made this soup last night. I added some potatoes too stretch it out a bit and used milk instead of half-and-half. It turned out great, thanks for posting the great recipes and photos! I'll be making the apple waffles tomorrow morning.

Deborah said...

I can't believe how many foods there are that I haven't tried - and turnips are one of them. I should join a CSA next year just so that I am forced to try new things!

Peter M said...

I like turnip and I have no idea as to why I haven't made a soup out of it yet.

Alicia Foodycat said...

It looks good - although from the description I don't think I will try it.

i.d.a. said...

I just made this soup and it is great. I had to use Herbes de Provence because I didn't have thyme.

I served it with the onions, but also suggest adding a balsamic drizzle or a sprinkle of nutmeg. Both are perfect accompaniments.

Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend, a St.Paul explant, and I are going to make the soup tonight in New Orleans. The turnip greens were just a little too bitter for our taste. Hopefully, we'll have better results with the turnips themselves.

Emma said...

I made this with Kohl Rabi, it was delicious.

Kathy - My Online Meals said...

I will try this recipe but will use coconut milk instead of half and half and then chopped spring onions on top instead of crispy fried onions. It just needs a bit of tweaking I think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota